Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, it's me again :)!

What does it mean 'a boon or otherwise'. I know what 'boon' and 'or otherwise' means but not sure if added up it also doesn't change its meaning. I've searched the Net and known dictionaries (the paper one in my house, and the online ones, too) but couldn't find any definitions but Google told me that it's used (not sure if it's common though, I think not).

The context is... well, I'm not actually sure when I heard the phrase but I think it was something like 'he's no longer my friend, boon or otherwise'. It wasn't a sentence used by a dumped girl, rather by a friend who was disappointed with the other friend's behaviour... I could be wrong but I think that the sentence was pretty much similiar :)

Thanks guys in advance because I'm sure that you'll help me out :)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi, it's me again :)!

What does it mean 'a boon or otherwise'. I know what 'boon' and 'or otherwise' means but not sure if added up it also doesn't change its meaning. I've searched the Net and known dictionaries (the paper one in my house, and the online ones, too) but couldn't find any definitions but Google told me that it's used (not sure if it's common though, I think not).

The context is... well, I'm not actually sure when I heard the phrase but I think it was something like 'he's no longer my friend, boon or otherwise'. It wasn't a sentence used by a dumped girl, rather by a friend who was disappointed with the other friend's behaviour... I could be wrong but I think that the sentence was pretty much similiar :)

Thanks guys in advance because I'm sure that you'll help me out :)
"He's no longer my friend, boon or otherwise" means nothing to me.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know what 'boon' and 'or otherwise' means* but not sure if added up it also doesn't change its meaning.

[not a teacher]

* Are you sure?
or otherwise
pron
something different in outcome - success or otherwise - source

Reading literally, it means "He's no longer my friend, benefit or no benefit."

"or otherwise" is common, as in this example. "boon or otherwise" is not a phrase I've heard before.

bud-bar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm pretty sure it was something like that, really. I've looked it up and here are some examples from the Net:

"Technology can be a boon or otherwise depending upon how and when it serves us."
" This leaves not just the man but the viewer too wondering whether putting on a deodorant is a boon or otherwise."

But these meanings are pretty much "simply" to understand, unlike the one I posted earlier (it looks like it's not any kind of a 'phrasal verb' or an idiom at all).

Well, guys, don't bother because I'm not even sure if I wrote the sentence right (but if it means nothing to you, it's highly possible I did not). If I find or remember it, I'll write again, is that okay? So if it's possible, please don't lock the topic yet. I'd be grateful.

Cheers :)!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a remote feeling that there may once have been a (now archaic) expression 'boon friend', meaning 'best friend. If so, the sentence 'he's no longer my friend, boon or otherwise'. would mean 'This person, once my best friend, is no longer a friend of any kind'.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By now you must know that Sheldon uses unusual phrasing, so referring to "boon companions" is not surprising. When Leonard terminated the agreement, they were no longer friends of any sort. Not good friends, not casual friends, not boon friends, etc.

From www.m-w.com

2boon

1 archaic: favorable

2: convivial <a boon companion>

.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list li.hidden{ display: none;}li.more-sent-link{ background: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link{ color: #717274; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-variant: normal; text-decoration: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.more-link:hover .text,#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link a.hide-link:hover .text{ text-decoration: underline;}.example-sentences ol.expanded-list a.more-link,.example-sentences ol.collapsed-list a.hide-link{ display: none;}#content .definition div.d li.more-sent-link span.icon{ padding-right: 2px;}Examples of BOON

1. <I and my boon companions celebrated that afternoon's victory on the gridiron with a night at a local dance club.>

Origin of BOON

Middle English bon, from Anglo-French, good — more at bounty First Known Use: 14th century

Related to BOON

Synonyms: convivial, clubbable (also clubable), clubby, companionable, extroverted (also extraverted), gregarious, outgoing, sociable, social

Status
Not open for further replies.