Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
teacher, is this sentence OK?

I would like to take leave from September 24 to 28, 2012. Can you arrange for Shing to cover my desk during that time period?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I would like to take leave from September 24 to 28, 2012. Can you arrange for Shing to cover my desk during that time period?

I would like to take leave from 24–28 September, 2012. Can you (please) arrange for Shing to cover for me during that (time) period?

I don't know your relationship with the person you're writing to so whether you say "please" or not is up to you. I would write the date a little differently, as I've shown, and I feel that "time" is optional.
The main change is to the more natural "cover for me", I haven't heard "cover my desk" but of course it may be a common way to express this in your situation, so that again is your decision.

not a teacher

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
cover my duties

Teacher, is this sentence okay? Is there such a word "to cover my desk"? Thank you.

I am away next week. Can you arrange for Ling to cover my duties during that period?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: cover my duties

Teacher, is this sentence okay? Is there such a word "to cover my desk"? Thank you. Yes, I think this would be understood to mean to take care of your duties/job in an office environment.

I am away next week. Can you arrange for Ling to cover my duties during that period?

b.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: cover my duties

I have merged these two threads. Please do not start separate threads with effectively the same questions.

Last edited:

thomas615

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
during my absence or in my absence

teacher, can I use either "during my absence" or in my absence" in this sentence. Is it OK for me to use "cover my desk"? thank you.

I am away next week and Xie Ling will cover my desk during my absence.

I am away next week and Xie Ling will cover my desk in my absence.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: during my absence or in my absence

Both are fine. During my absence usually implies simultaneity without causality; in my absence implies a direct relationship.

Examples:
During the absence of the regular weatherman, we had exceptionally hot weather. (He had nothing to do with the heat).

In my absence, Miss Jones will handle all requests. (My absence is the reason Miss Jones is handling these duties.)

Status
Not open for further replies.