[Essay] Universities should accept students into every major not according to gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

HL_Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
IELTS Essay (Pleaes correct me, and give me your valuable comments)

Studying at university is the first real step to the kind of human’s life. Some people believe that post secondary education must encourage equality among men and women by admitting equal numbers of male and female in each field. Although equality is important issue, I believe that universities do not have to pay attention to the gender, but rather to the scores and interests.

Academic scores are the best thing that gives right impassion about students, and universities should rely on academic scores to accept new students. Many majors in the university that require students to be hard working and smart can not identify the suitable students by any way except checking their academic scores. For instance, the students who have low scores can not major in medicine because medicine requires students to be having high scores, because they have much responsibility to take care of people’s health. This is one reason why I believe that universities ought to accept students not according to gender.

Nobody can do creative jobs except if he is interested in them, so universities must admit students depending on their interests. Everybody is interested in special field, and if he got the chance to to major in his interest, he would do his best to serve the society. In contrast, if universities accepted him in a field which is different, he would do bad, and he would spend much time practicing his interest not his major. For example, my younger brother in interested in Chemistry but he was not adsmitted in this field, and he is now studying Electrical Engineering, and he is not good at this major.

In conclusion, the scores and interests are more important than gender equality. Therefore, I strongly believe that universities must accept students according to their academic scores and interests not their gender. As a result, students should be accepted to into every major regardless of their gender.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Studying at university is the first real step to the kind of human’s life.

1. Please explain that.
2. When do you turn this in to your teacher/instructor?

:)

HL_Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Unfortunately, I do not have a teacher. I am doing self-learning. I am preparing for IELTS Academic test.

((Studying at university is the first real step to the kind of human’s life))

Well I mean studying at university is the real factor that may impact the kind of human's future life. It may make it a fantastic life. Not to go to university may make the human's life black.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will be correcting your writing, not you.

Studying at university is the first real step to the kind of human’s life.

Unless you can somehow rewrite that so that it makes sense, you might want to simply delete that sentence.

Some people believe that colleges and universities should encourage equality among men and women by admitting equal numbers of males and females in each field.

Hm.

HL_Learner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I will delete that sentence. Kindly, continue the correction.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although equality is important issue, I believe that universities do not have to pay attention to the gender, but rather to the scores and interests.

Try:
Although the goal of gender equality is an important one, I believe a university should not pay attention to gender but only to a person's test scores and his or her interests.

Got to go!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Academic scores are the best thing that gives right impassion about students, and universities should rely on academic scores to accept new students. Many majors in the university that require students to be hard working and smart can not identify the suitable students by any way except checking their academic scores. For instance, the students who have low scores can not major in medicine because medicine requires students to be having high scores, because they have much responsibility to take care of people’s health. This is one reason why I believe that universities ought to accept students not according to gender.

Academic performance is the best gauge of students' performance, so universities should use that as the main criterion in accepting new students. Certain academically and professionally demanding courses such as medicine requires students of high calibre and motivation, which, only the best candidates with the highest academic performance should be selected. The criterion for the selection of students should not be based on gender.

not a teacher

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Universities should rely on academic performance as their main criteria for admitting new students. In fact, previous academic performance is the best predictor of future academic success.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
How many criteria?
Criteria is plural. The singular is criterion.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

I believe that universities should not admit students based on things like ethnicity or gender but on things that will determine success in his chosen field. If you need to see a doctor for something, well, you would hope that person knows more about medicine than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.