Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I am reading a short story:

"When he smiled, a dimple appeared in his left cheek, a characteristic he cultivated".
What is the underlined word meaning? Thanks for your help.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Here is a standard definition of dimple: a small depression in the flesh, either one that exists permanently or one that forms in the cheeks when one smiles. That definition is not exactly correct. It is also possible to have a dimple in one's chin.

The author who says that the character cultivated his dimple means that the character understood the dimple was attractive and encouraged it to form. To be realistic and practical, however, the only way the character could have cultivated his dimple would have been to smile a lot. There simply isn't any other way to cultivate a dimple. Dimples are like hair. Either you have them or you don't and there's really nothing you can do about it.

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

dimple-1.jpg

I think we have two different types of dimples.
The above one that you have talked about and another big one that comes with advance age and it seems as if cheeks go inside, of course, those who are slim experience that. Will you, probus, find me the common term for the latter one, please?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello OD:

Do you mean something like this guy's cheeks? Admittedly he is an extreme case. But if this is what you mean, we don't call them dimples. We call them sunken cheeks.

Attachments

• sunken cheeks.jpg
    sunken cheeks.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.