Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Can I say "what do I wear today?"

I wear is just a simple present tense, and I've learned that simple present is not used usually, except like in something true ( Earth goes around the Sun )

Do I need to say differently, like what am I going to wear?

Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This appears to be someone talking to him/herself. Either tense will work in that case.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've learned that simple present is not used usually, except like in something true .
That is not true. The present simple is widely used, and for many different things.

1. [FONT=&quot]Eternal, habitual, permanent, general, etc truths: Water freezes at 0⁰ Celsius.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]Regular or repeated actions: I normally drive to work.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]Present states: That car belongs to George.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]Instructions, directions, demonstrations, etc: I engage first gear and let the clutch up. [/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]Commentary on fast action: Perry heads the ball to Charlton; he stops it, turns, [/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]Vivid, dramatic or historic present: Then this chap walks up to me and punches me.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=&quot]Timetabled future: Luke leaves for Moscow next Wednesday.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=&quot]Future time and conditional clauses: If you drive me to the station, I'll catch the 8.15.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=&quot]Present speech acts, where the verb is the act: I declare this fête open.[/FONT]

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm sorry, but I don't get the meaning of this sentence: I engage first gear and let the clutch up.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Do you know how to drive a car?

It means, "I put it in first gear and let the clutch out."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sorry, but I don't get the meaning of this sentence: I engage first gear and let the clutch up.

Does your car have a "stick shift" (a manual/standard transmission) or is it an automatic? If you have ever driven a stick, that's the process of getting the car to actually move forward. If you have more questions about that, let's start a new thread in the members section.

Status
Not open for further replies.