Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

What does it mean "to RUN a computer program"? Is it the same as "to start a computer program"?

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. "Execute" is another word.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes. "Execute" is another word.

Just in case I'd like to ask you again in the light of your recent reply. "Execute" means, as far as I know, to start and perform a program (let it do what it's intended to do), while "to start a program" implies just to click on a shortkutwith your mouse and make the main window open. So "to run a program" means the former or the latter? Does "to run a program" encompass "to perform this programn"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I started before there were computer mouses. In order for a computer to perform a list of instructions you need to put the instructions into memory and then inform the computer that it should go to the top of the list of instructions and follow them.

These steps are called "loading" the program (into memory) and "executing" or "running" the program. You could also say you "started" the program.

Nowadays, the "loading" action happens automatically. When you double-click on an icon the program loads into memory and begins running.

It's got nothing to do with what the user does or does not do as he interacts with the program.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks so much!!! Brilliant!!! :-D:-D

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One could say, I suppose, that a computer operator might know how to "run" a program. That is, to make a software program do the desired tasks. Maybe Fred knows how to run pivot tables in Excel, or Sally can run mail merges in Word.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
One could say, I suppose, that a computer operator might know how to "run" a program. That is, to make a software program do the desired tasks. Maybe Fred knows how to run pivot tables in Excel, or Sally can run mail merges in Word.

But you said "to run" has nothing in common with "to interact with a program". So once again: when I run/start a program I make it do what it is intended to do, right? For example, if there is a program which calculates the area of a geometric shape, I start it when I click the button which says to the program to start doing these calculations (provided all input data are given)?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought about it further. There are two senses of how one may think about it. A person who knows which buttons to push and how to enter the data can be said to "run" the program.

The sense I was originally thinking of was that of the computer running the program.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

What does it mean "to RUN a computer program"? Is it the same as "to start a computer program"?

Thanks
To the everyday user, yes.
To a techie, it might be one of many steps: write-compile-link-load-run

Not a teacher. But I am a programmer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.