Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Romania
Hi,
I have two questions:

1. What time does the train arrive?
2. What time does train forty-five arrive?

Why in the second question we do need to use the definite article?
The only thing I notice is that second sentence is more specific than the first question.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,

1. What time does the train arrive?
2. What time does train forty-five arrive?
Before the structure NOUN + NUMERAL we do not use an article (it's a grammar rule). E.g. Let's go to Room 5.
This is a very useful rule which may come in handy if you are not sure which article to use.)
But there is a problem for me with capitalization of the noun in this structure - I can't see any consistent pattern or rule when the noun should be capitalized.
Why did I capitalize Room in my example? I don't know - might have seen it in some English text.

:?:

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before the structure NOUN + NUMERAL we do not use an article (it's a grammar rule). E.g. Let's go to Room 5.
This is a very useful rule which may come in handy if you are not sure which article to use.)
But there is a problem for me with capitalization of the noun in this structure - I can't see any consistent pattern or rule when the noun should be capitalized.
Why did I capitalize Room in my example? I don't know - might have seen it in some English text.

:?:

Capitalization indicates that "Room 5" is the name of the room.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Capitalization indicates that "Room 5" is the name of the room.

I still don't understand. I thought we can say both "the fifth room" and "Room 5" about any room inside a building which has number "5" written on its door. Do rooms have names?:-?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still don't understand. I thought we can say both "the fifth room" and "Room 5" about any room inside a building which has number "5" written on its door. Do rooms have names?:-?

Yes, rooms have names. Consider "The Oval Office" and "Room 101" in Orwell's 1984.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can have "Exam Room 5" in a doctor's office. There might be one room for drawing blood, another for meeting patients, and the doctor's office. Room 5 does not have to be the fifth room.

Depending on how rooms are numbered or named, "the fifth room on the right" could be "Room 5" or "the Kennebec Room" or "Room 211" -- you can name a room whatever you want.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Depending on how rooms are numbered or named, "the fifth room on the right" could be "Room 5" or "the Kennebec Room" or "Room 211" -- you can name a room whatever you want.

In Russia we do not often give names to rooms which have numbers, rooms usually just have numbers (or just names, without any numbers, but for very few exceptions, perhaps, that I have never heard of). I mean, if you come, supposingly, to an outpatient clinic, the receptionist may send you to room number 55 which is on the fifth floor. Do I understand you correctly - if there is number 55 written on the room door (and nothing else), say in a policlinic, she can't send the patient "to the fifty-fifth room" to be examined by the doctor? How should she say it properly in the described situation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Russia we do not often give names to rooms which have numbers, rooms usually just have numbers (or just names, without any numbers, but for very few exceptions, perhaps, that I have never heard of). I mean, if you come, supposingly, to an outpatient clinic, the receptionist may send you to room number 55 which is on the fifth floor. Do I understand you correctly - if there is number 55 written on the room door (and nothing else), say in a policlinic, she can't send the patient "to the fifty-fifth room" to be examined by the doctor? How should she say it properly in the described situation?

She would say "Please go to Room 55 [which is] on the fifth floor".

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
She would say "Please go to Room 55 [which is] on the fifth floor".
Thank you. I didn't know that. So, it sounds absurd in all cases to send someone to "the fifty-fifth room" because it would take ages to count?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It's quite normal to say something like "it's the third room on the right" or "it's the first room on the left once you pass the water fountain" but those rooms could have any number/name.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
And what's the typcal announcement at the railway station? Will it sound like this:
Train 345 arrives to Platform 6?

Is sometimes the word number used?
Train number 345 arrives to Platform 6?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And what's the typcal announcement at the railway station? Will it sound like this:
Train 345 arrives to Platform 6?

Is sometimes the word number used?
Train number 345 arrives to Platform 6?

I will usually be: Train 45 (is) arriving at Platform 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.