Interested in Language
Native Language
Marathi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sir,
Damocles sword hangs over head. Can this idiom be used in common circumstances or it has to be used with concern of powerful people like kings or politicians or people with too much responsibilities ?

"the Sword of Damocles" an allusion to imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power.

This was the definition given in Wikipedia.

Thank you
Sincerely
K. Anjali

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, anjali.

[STRIKE]Sir,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary, and disrespectful to our female teachers.
Damocles sword hangs overhead. Can this idiom be used in common circumstances or it has to be used with concern of powerful people like kings or politicians or people with too much responsibilities?

"the Sword of Damocles" an allusion to imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power.

This was the definition given in Wikipedia.

[STRIKE]Thank you[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Sincerely [/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]K. Anjali[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just click 'Thank' when you get a useful answer.

We can all be metaphorically threatened by the sword of Damocles. The Wikipedia article 'Damocles' points this out.

The phrase has also come to be used in describing any situation infused with a sense of impending doom, especially when the peril is visible and close at hand—regardless of whether the victim is in a position of power.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always use my Sword of Damocles to cut through my Gordian Knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.