Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
It had been a long time since I last went on a strict exercise regimen.

It had been a long time since I last had gone on a strict exercise regimen.

Does the meaning of sentence change depending on whether I use simple past or past perfect in a sentence like above?

Could anyone please explain the difference in meaning, if there is any?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It had been a long time since I last went on a strict exercise regimen.

It had been a long time since I last had gone on a strict exercise regimen.

Does the meaning of sentence change depending on whether I use simple past or past perfect in a sentence like above?

Could anyone please explain the difference in meaning, if there is any?

The difference in meaning comes from the tense used in the first half of the sentence, not the second:

It has been a long time since I went on a diet = the time reference is now and I haven't been on a diet for a long time.

It had been a long time since I had gone on a diet = the time reference is some point in the past and at that time it was a long time since I had dieted. It gives no clues as to whether or not I have dieted between that time and now.

Note: apologies for the spelling errors in the original. I must stop trying to type on my phone.

Last edited:

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
The difference in meaning comes from the tense used in the first have if the sentence, not the second:

It has been a long time since I went on a diet = the time reference is now and I haven't been on a diet for a long time.

It had been a long time since I had gone on a diet = the time reference is some point in the past and at that time it wasca long time since I had dieted. It gives no clues as to whether or not I have dieted between that time and now.

So are you saying, there is no difference in meaning of those two sentences I initially wrote, as long as the first halves of those sentences are identical?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So are you saying, there is no difference in meaning of those two sentences I initially wrote, as long as the first halves of those sentences are identical?

If you're going to start both of them with "It had been a long time..." then the logical progression would be to "...since I had gone on..." not "since I went". Whilst it is not absolutely required to stick with one tense in any one sentence, in some cases it makes far more sense.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
If you're going to start both of them with "It had been a long time..." then the logical progression would be to "...since I had gone on..." not "since I went". Whilst it is not absolutely required to stick with one tense in any one sentence, in some cases it makes far more sense.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.