Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please check these sentences.
Active voice: Willy is going to school but he forgot his school bag at his room.
Passive voice: The school is being gone by Willy but he forgot his school bat at his room.
Gerund form: Will’s going to school is after he forgot his school bag at his room.

Active voice: Tom is formatting his hard disk after he copied the urgent data from it.
Passive voice: The hard disk is being formatted by Tom after he copied the urgent data from it.
Gerund form: Tom’s formatting of his hard disk is after he copied the urgent data from it.

Question: In the first sentence, in the first clause I used present continuous tense and in the second clause I used simple past tense. Is it better to say "he forget"?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Active voice- this is OK, but when we name the place, we tend to use 'left':
He forgot his bag.
He left his bag at home.
Passive voice- this is wrong- 'to school' is not the object so cannot be made into the subject
Gerund- This doesn't work- it's unnatural and a transformation that has no point to me. There should be a point behind transformations and I can't imagine anyone saying this- it has no real meaning.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi again, I updated them and I'm needing for checking please.
Active voice: Willy is buying a cake after he get hungry.
Passive voice: A cake is being bought by Willy after he gets hungry.
Gerund form: The buying of a cake is after he gets hungry.

Active voice: Tom is formatting his hard disk after he copied the urgent data from it.
Passive voice: The hard disk is being formatted by Tom after he copied the urgent data from it.
Gerund form: Tom’s formatting of his hard disk is after he copied the urgent data from it.

Look to the second clause of the active voice sentences, there are a difference between them once I used simple present while the other I used simple past. I need for explanation?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Active voice: Willy is buying a cake after he get hungry.
Passive voice: A cake is being bought by Willy after he gets hungry.
Gerund form: The buying of a cake is after he gets hungry.

Look to the second clause of the active voice sentences, there are a difference between them once I used simple present while the other I used simple past. I need for explanation?

********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Atchan.

(1) Please remember these are only my ideas. They may be wrong.

Willy is buying a cake right now because he is very hungry.

A cake is being bought right now by Willy because he is very hungry.

Willy's buying a cake right now is due to his hunger.

(I know nothing -- nothing!!! -- about computers. Does a person format

after copying the data? If that is correct, then here are my ideas.)

Tom is formatting his hard disk because he has already copied its data./Tom is formatting his hard disk after his having already copied its data.

The hard disk is being formatted by Tom because he has already copied its data. /The hard disk is being formatted by Tom after his having already copied its data.

Tom's formatting of his hard disk is progressing nicely after his having already copied its data.

THANK YOU

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Question:

Active voice: Willy is buying a cake right now after he get hungry.

Active voice: Tom is formatting his hard disk right now after he copied the urgent data from it.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Question:

Active voice: Willy is buying a cake right now after he get hungry.

Active voice: Tom is formatting his hard disk right now after he copied the urgent data from it.

The first one, with "get" is incorrect. It should be "got." (I would actually prefer "became.") Actually, I'd prefer something more like "Willy got hungry, so right now, he's buying a cake." And I'd probably write "After copying the essential data, Tom is formatting his hard drive."

Status
Not open for further replies.