[Grammar] "Now I take chances I never took before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

qizi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, I was doing a test that required me to correct an error in this sentence, but I found several parts strange. Could you explain them to me? Thank you very much.
"I think so," he agreed. "Now I take chances I never took before. I was used to be so much more careful. No wrong notes. Not too bold ideas. Now I let go and enjoy myself and to be with everything except the music!'
The key answer says the error is "be" in red and that it should be changed to "hell". I don't understand.
Another part that I am not clear about is "not too bold ideas". I notice that the previous sentence uses "no", so is it necessary for the following sentence to be parallel, as in "No too bold ideas"?
Thank you.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, I was doing a test that required me to correct an error in this sentence, but I found several parts strange. Could you explain them to me? Thank you very much.
"I think so," he agreed. "Now I take chances I never took before. I was used to be so much more careful. No wrong notes. Not too bold ideas. Now I let go and enjoy myself and to be with everything except the music!'
The key answer says the error is "be" in red and that it should be changed to "hell". I don't understand.
Another part that I am not clear about is "not too bold ideas". I notice that the previous sentence uses "no", so is it necessary for the following sentence to be parallel, as in "No too bold ideas"?
Thank you.
"I think so," he agreed. "Now I take chances I never took before. I (was) delete (was) used to be so much more careful. No wrong notes. Not too many bold ideas. Now I let go and enjoy myself (and to be with everything except the music!' ) This part doesn't make any sense.
You are right, there are quite a few errors in that text.

qizi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you. I'm terribly sorry that I have made a huge mistake about the "be" in red. The answer key says the error is "be" in "and to be with everything except the music" and that it needs to be changed to "hell".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you. I'm terribly sorry that I have made a huge mistake about the "be" in red. The answer key says the error is "be" in "and to be with everything except the music" and that it needs to be changed to "hell".
I'm sorry, it's not at all clear to me what you are saying. To change "be" to "hell" doesn't make any sense at all.

qizi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm sorry that I confused you. I found the original text. Could you take a look at the first two paragraphs. PS: why is it necessary to add "many" in the text, as in "not too may bold ideas"? Thank you.

The elderly who find great rewards and satisfactions in their later lives are a small minorit.y in this country. But they do exist. They are the"aged elite". What is most striking about these people is their capacity for growth. When Arthur Rubinstein was eighty, someone told him that he was playing the piano better than ever. "I think so," he agreed. "Now I take chances I never took before. I used to be so much more careful. No wrong notes. Not too bold ideas. Now I let go and enjoy myself and to hell with everything except the music!'

Another reason for the success of the aged elite are the traits they' have formed earlier in their lives. A sixty-eight-year-old woman, three times married and widowed , says , "It's not just what you do when you're past sixty-five. It's what you did all your life that matters. If you've lived a full life, developed your mind, you'll be able to use it past sixty-five. Let the young people put that in their soup and eat it. "

Status
Not open for further replies.