Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What does it mean?

does it mean that appointment with destiny?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, a tryst is a kind of appointment.

But sir it is an speech of a prime minister during Independence of his nation. so, could you please tell what it may mean ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But sir it is an speech of a prime minister during Independence of his nation. so, could you please tell what it may mean ?

If you knew the context already, it would have been helpful to have told us that in your original post. If you post the whole sentence or paragraph we will be more able to assist.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When a nation becomes independent, it is truly a meeting with destiny as that nation will be in control of its future and not subject to external rule.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
The phrase comes from the first sentence of Nehru’s speech to the Indian Assembly on the night before independence was achieved in August of 1947*. One British newspaper has said it’s one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century**.
While the major portion of this great speech is virtuous, true and deeply inspiring, it is peppered with what today’s journalists would probably call “Nehruisms”. Perhaps the Prime Minister (or his speech writer) should have taken a closer look at the word tryst. It means: a private, romantic rendezvous between lovers.
A "tryst with destiny" sounds so profound, so intellectual - almost believable in its allusion. Imagine a whole nation having a love affair with destiny? It was certainly taken as highly patriotic when spoken as part of this Independence Day speech. But the fact is, the word means what it means and no matter who says it, or to whom, it still feels a bit mawkish and contrived. Given the times and the years of struggle that lay behind India that August, it is understandable that her leaders sought to be as eloquent as possible when speaking of their new nation. Had Nehru replaced “tryst” with the more flat “promise”, is just wouldn’t have felt the same.

John

* “Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially.”
** http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/series/greatspeeches

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The phrase comes from the first sentence of Nehru’s speech to the Indian Assembly on the night before independence was achieved in August of 1947*. One British newspaper has said it’s one of the greatest speeches of the 20th century**.
While the major portion of this great speech is virtuous, true and deeply inspiring, it is peppered with what today’s journalists would probably call “Nehruisms”. Perhaps the Prime Minister (or his speech writer) should have taken a closer look at the word tryst. It means: a private, romantic rendezvous between lovers.
A "tryst with destiny" sounds so profound, so intellectual - almost believable in its allusion. Imagine a whole nation having a love affair with destiny? It was certainly taken as highly patriotic when spoken as part of this Independence Day speech. But the fact is, the word means what it means and no matter who says it, or to whom, it still feels a bit mawkish and contrived. Given the times and the years of struggle that lay behind India that August, it is understandable that her leaders sought to be as eloquent as possible when speaking of their new nation. Had Nehru replaced “tryst” with the more flat “promise”, is just wouldn’t have felt the same.

John

Sir, your knowledge about the India is really amazing.

I read that speech through the link given by you.

Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny

does it mean that "our freedom is destined to happen" ?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny

does it mean that "our freedom is destined to happen" ?

No. Perhaps it means that freedom was 'destined to happen', but whatever you choose to think it means (is Pakistan free, and if so, in what sense?....; this forum is no place for discussing this or similar questions) but the meeting had already happened at the time of the speech. I believe Nehru was talking about the abstract principle of destiny (what makes destined things happen) rather than 'destiny' in any particular instance.

This sort of issue is an example of how important it is, when considering meanings, to look at the context.

b

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
My post addressed the misuse of the word "tryst", and nothing - repeat - nothing else.

I do not, I did not, and will not interpret parts of speeches by any politician anywhere or at any time.

John

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My post addressed the misuse of the word "tryst", and nothing - repeat - nothing else.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Moderator Bob has just gently reminded us that this forum is strictly for language.

(2) I hope that my comments are considered appropriate.

(3) I almost choked on my food when I learned from Mr. Paris who had used that

word. That gentleman had an excellent British education, so he well knew the

overtones of that word. I am guessing the gentleman might not have used that word

if he had known at the time some things that would later occur in his private life.

(4) If my post has been too daring, I apologize and will meekly accept deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.