Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does the underlined mean "worrying about 180 seconds ago is same as trying to change dinosaur tracks"? Can "not ~ any more" in there be contracted to "no more" to mean A is same as B?

39mo
ex)As I write this, I can look out of my window and see some dinosaur tracks in my garden - dinosaur tracks embedded in stone. I purchased those dinosaur tracks fromo the Peabody Museum of Yale University; and I have a letter from the curator of the museum, saying that those tracks were made 180 million years ago. Even an idiot wouldn't dream of trying to go back to 180 million years ago to change those tracks. Yet that would not be any more foolish than worrying about the past because we can't go back and change what happened 180 seconds ago - and a lot of us are doing just that. To be sure, we may do something to modify the effects of what happened 180 seconds ago; but we can't possibly change the event that occurred then.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Basically, there is as much chance of changing what happened 180 seconds ago as there is of changing something that happened 180 million years ago, so there's no point worrying about either of them, or about anything that has happened in between. The past is the past.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
So does it say that "trying to change the past" equals "worrying about the past"? Does "not any more" function as "same as"? Is it equal comparison or superior comparison?
And also is "worrying about the past" related to 180 seconds ago or the whole past?

ex)Yet that would not be any more foolish than worrying about the past because we can't go back and change what happened 180 seconds ago

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So does it say that "trying to change the past" equals "worrying about the past"?
They're connected in as much as there is no point worrying about something you can't change.

Does "not any more" function as "same as"?
You could say that, but it simply means what it says "It is not more foolish".

And also is "worrying about the past" related to 180 seconds ago or the whole past?
The past is effectively any time before right now, this exact second. In the normal course of events of course, when people talk about the past, they are not talking about earlier today, or yesterday or even earlier this week. It's usually more long-term than that but there is no getting away from the fact that 180 seconds ago is indeed in the past.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.