Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Is "welcoming to life" same as "welcoming life"? If not, what's the difference?
2.Does this "below 50 degrees" refer to "below minus 50 degrees Celcius" or "below 50 degrees Farenheit"? It it is the latter, my conversion result doesn't show so much low temperature, so I guess it's the former, then why was "minus" omitted?

gu135)At first sight, Mars does not appear very welcoming to life. It has very little oxygen and water, and the temperature at night is below 50 degrees...

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
1.Is "welcoming to life" same as "welcoming life"? If not, what's the difference? They are not the same. In the excerpt below, "welcome life" would not make sense. I also feel that "conducive to life" would be a better choice than "welcoming to life."
2.Does this "below 50 degrees" refer to "below minus 50 degrees Celcius" or "below 50 degrees Farenheit"? It it is the latter, my conversion result doesn't show so much low temperature, so I guess it's the former, then why was "minus" omitted? You need to ask the author. This is totally ambiguous and it is impossible to discern what he or she meant.

gu135)At first sight, Mars does not appear very welcoming to life. It has very little oxygen and water, and the temperature at night is below 50 degrees...

Henry

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means less than 50 degrees. If it was talking about negative temperatures it would say "50 degrees below (zero)."

Whether they are talking degrees F or C or K or R is impossible to tell. If it was talking about earth and said something like "take a sweater, it's below 50 degrees outside," we could assume they meant degrees F.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! Don't you ever say "minus 50 degrees" instead of "50 degrees below zero"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, we do.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot!. What exactly is the differene between "welcoming to life" and "welcoming life"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means less than 50 degrees. If it was talking about negative temperatures it would say "50 degrees below (zero)."
About 'meaning': I'd say this is a transcription problem, not the intended meaning. By itself, the text means what you say. But the text is wrong.
I'm assuming the text comes from here: ??????? E.V.P. | 09 ???? ??? - Daum ??

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You mean the original would have been "conducive to life" or "welcoming life"? I really appreciate your endeavor to find out the Korean website for the text, but I couldn't find out the original text.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You mean the original would have been "conducive to life" or "welcoming life"? I really appreciate your endeavor to find out the Korean website for the text, but I couldn't find out the original text.
I didn't look for the Korean site. I entered the sentence, and there were only three hits - probably another clue that it's a transcription error.
'welcoming to life' is correct; so is 'conducive to life'.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Last question, why doesn't "welcome life" make sense?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Last question, why doesn't "welcome life" make sense?
"Mars does not appear very welcome life"? It's just not grammatical. Nor is "very welcoming life".
"Mars does not appear to welcome life" is OK grammatically.
"Mars does not appear to be a planet welcoming life" is also correct grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.