Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi! I would like to know what you think of this phrase "games from around the world". I'd appreciate some technical explanation. Thanks!!!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi! I would like to know what you think of this phrase "games from around the world". I'd appreciate some technical explanation. Thanks!!!
It's normal phrase. How technical can it get? If you choose ice hockey from Canada, boomerang throwing from Australia and Alpine skiing from Norway, you have a small collection of "games from around the world."

What's the technical aspect missing? Do you mean how many countries need to be represented before you can claim "from around the world" status? Or how many different games need to be selected? Or how spread out over the world the countries have to be?
(I agree that if you chose soccer from 50 countries, "games from around the world" would be misleading. If you chose 15 games from countries all in Europe, the phrase would also be misleading. Is that what you mean?
If you had protection rackets from Russia, political corruption from India, and womanising from France, the term might also be controversial.
What do you actually have?

rociomherrera

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'd like to receive some explanation as regards syntax and semantics on the use of that combination of prepositions...

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd like to receive some explanation as regards syntax and semantics on the use of that combination of prepositions...
"games from around the world" is a perfectly good phrase, syntactically and semantically.
It means "games from various places around the world". But that's a very common and normal ellipsis of "places".

Status
Not open for further replies.