Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Does the expression forage for food means

1. To hunt or search for food, like when you are stranded at a place where nobody lives nearby and there are no markets to shop, like at a far flung area.

There was a reality series named "Man, Woman, Wild" on the Discovery Channel in which an American couple would explores jungles and survive on animal (as food). Can we say they foraged for food while they hunted animals since they had nothing to eat?

2. Situation no 2.
People who are living in poverty like those who live on a coastal land have to forage for food to feed themselves and their families.

3. Do you forage for food for livestock or cattle?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. To hunt or search for food, like when you are stranded at a place where nobody lives nearby and there are no markets to shop, like at a far flung area.

You look for it because it doesn't look for you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was a reality series named "Man, Woman, Wild" on the Discovery Channel in which an American couple would explores jungles and survive on animal (as food). Can we say they foraged for food while they hunted animals since they had nothing to eat?

That's called "hunting".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
explore jungles

survive on animals (as food)

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What about the third and fourth part of my question. I use this forum to dispel my doubts because you, the native speakers are the best source to seek guidance from.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What about the third and fourth part of my question. I use this forum to dispel my doubts because you, the native speakers are the best source to seek guidance from.

What is it about dictionaries that leaves you doubtful?

That's a rhetorical question, so don't answer it. And don't be so infernally lazy. Right now, you are a hair's breadth from being banned, so do some conscientious work and think twice before you post again.

for·age
/ˈfôrij,ˈfärij/
Learn to pronounce
verb
(of a person or animal) search widely for food or provisions.
"gulls are equipped by nature to forage for food"

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Nowadays, it is quite fashionable to forage for food- people go out looking for herbs, mushrooms, edible plants, etc. For them, it is more of a hobby and interest in unusual or fresh ingredients than necessity.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You hunt for squirrels. You forage for berries.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thanks for clarifying in posts 11 and 12 that "to forage for" is used for searching for edible vegetation rather than animals, and secondly it is not something to survive on but it is more of a hobby or interest. Now these are the kind of answers we expect from the native speakers that give us an extra bit of information as compared to the definitions in dictionaries. Thank you very much both of you Tdol and SoothingDave for elaborating on the phrase.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are people who forage for a lot of their food. It's more than a hobby - it's a way of spending a lot less money on food! Every spring, I forage for wild garlic and nettles, neither of which I can buy in shops but both of which are delicious. I wouldn't class it as a hobby - it's just one or two lovely days out with a couple of good friends, and provides me with enough ingredients for several jars of homemade pesto and a good few nettle risottos.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One day when I'd gathered a small trove of morel mushrooms, I went to the grocery to buy a leek. Someone who'd found a lot more than me had sold some morels to the market, which was offering them for $32/lb (€64/kg). I suddenly felt like I'd been well paid for my pleasant walk in the woods.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
GoesStation was quoting the metric price in euros.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See, this is why you should all adopt the American system.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
See, this is why you should all adopt the American system.

I'm sure you know pounds and ounces are units in the imperial (i.e. British) system, so there's no American system for us Brits to adopt.

I for one would welcome a complete cultural conversion in Britain to the metric system, especially for the unnecessarily irregular and confusing units of weight, to which I can't see any benefit at all. You know, I really think that we here probably would have made the change by now if it wasn't for the fact that the US also insists on the imperial system.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sure you know pounds and ounces are units in the imperial (i.e. British) system, so there's no American system for us Brits to adopt.

I for one would welcome a complete cultural conversion in Britain to the metric system, especially for the unnecessarily irregular and confusing units of weight, to which I can't see any benefit at all. You know, I really think that we here probably would have made the change by now if it wasn't for the fact that the US also insists on the imperial system.

We don't actually use Imperial measures. Many American measures are the same as Imperial measures with the same name, but some common ones, like pints, quarts, and gallons, aren't.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We don't actually use Imperial measures. Many American measures are the same as Imperial measures with the same name, but some common ones, like pints, quarts, and gallons, aren't.

Right. You've explained some of this to me before, but I'm still not too clear on the US and UK differences. Is it only measures of volume that are different? Do you know why this is? Weights are the same, right? (Except for that we use stones here whereas I believe you don't?) And what do you call the measures if not 'Imperial'?

(Sorry to stray completely off topic (I blame SoothingDave!), but I believe the OP question has been answered.)

Status
Not open for further replies.