Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"You can leave when you are done dinner"

Did anyone hear the dialect use like this one in your area?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nor I. And I'm from the area that says "the car needs washed" or "the dishes need done."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Nor I. And I'm from the area that says "the car needs washed" or "the dishes need done."

Where are you from in the states? You just leave "to be" out? Could you give more examples?

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You can leave when you are done dinner"

Did anyone hear the dialect use like this one in your area?
I am not a teacher.

That is normal colloquial here (Middle Atlantic, USA). It may be confined to a smaller area than the entire Middle Atlantic region, though.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where are you from in the states? You just leave "to be" out? Could you give more examples?

Western Pennsylvania. A region of what is known as the North Midland dialect. Yes, we leave "to be" out of structures like that, with a "wants" or "needs." Not when writing formally, of course.

Pittsburgh English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

need, want, or like + past participle (Murray, Frazer and Simon 1996; Tenny 1998; McElhinny 1999; Murray and Simon 1999; Montgomery 2001; Johnstone, Bhasin and Wittkofski 2002; Murray and Simon 2002; Wisnosky 2003; Johnstone and Baumgardt 2004; Johnstone, Andrus and Danielson 2006).

Examples: “The car needs washed”; “The cat wants petted”; “Babies like cuddled”.

Further explanation: More common constructions are “Babies like cuddling” or “Babies like to be cuddled”; “”The car needs washing” or “The car needs to be washed”; and “The cat wants petting” or “The cat wants to be petted.”

Geographic distribution: Found predominantly in the North Midland region, but especially in southwestern Pennsylvania (Murray, Frazer and Simon 1996; Murray and Simon 1999; Murray and Simon 2002). Need + past participle is the most common construction, followed by want + past participle, and then like + past participle. The forms are "implicationally related" to one another (Murray and Simon 2002). This means the existence of one construction in a given location entails the existence (or not) of another in that location. Here’s the implicational breakdown: where we find like + past participle, we will also necessarily find want and need + past participle; where we find want + past participle, we will also find need + past participle, but we may or may not find like + past participle; where we find need + past participle, we may or may not find want + past participle and like + past participle. Put another way, the existence of the least common construction implies the necessary existence of the two more common constructions, but the existence of the most common construction does not necessarily entail existence of the two less common constructions.

Origins: like + past participle is Scots-Irish (Murray and Simon 2002). need + past participle is Scots-Irish (Murray, Frazer, and Simon 1996; Murray and Simon 1999; Montgomery 2001; Murray and Simon 2002). While Adams (2002) argues that want + past participle could be from Scots-Irish or German, it seems likely that this construction is Scots-Irish, as Murray and Simon (1999 and 2002) claim. like and need + past participle are Scots-Irish, the distributions of all three constructions are implicationally related, the area where they are predominantly found is most heavily influenced by Scots-Irish, and a related construction, want + directional adverb, as in “The cat wants out,” is Scots-Irish (Crozier 1984).

I know "the laundry needs done" is strange, but it never occurred to me that there is something odd with "the cat wants out."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

That is normal colloquial here (Middle Atlantic, USA). It may be confined to a smaller area than the entire Middle Atlantic region, though.

I'm not realy good at Geographics. What areas would you refer to when you talk about Middle Atlantic?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mid-Atlantic states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Mid-Atlantic states, also called middle Atlantic states or simply the mid Atlantic, form a region of the United States generally located between New England and the South. Its exact definition differs upon source, but the region often includes Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Virginia, and New York and West Virginia.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I am not a teacher.

Here's what heard when I was watching an American series

"I think Kate is right. Frank is done good work. The last version of the sauce is pretty durn good."

Would it make sence for people from the MIddle Atlantic?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think anyone who speaks English could understand.

I think the second sentence is "Frank has done good work," but but probably pronounced so the "has" is hard to distinguish from an "is." I just said it to myself. The "h" disappears. Context tells you the utterance is supposed to be "(h)as" not "is."

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's what heard when I was watching an American series

"I think Kate is right. Frank is done good work. The last version of the sauce is pretty durn good."

Would it make sence for people from the MIddle Atlantic?
No. That sounds Southern or Appalachian, and I mean yokel.

Status
Not open for further replies.