Does we will take care of it always mean free charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes I heard the store people said we would take care of it when I had problems on the product. I do not know whether it means free charge or not. But, actually it is free. I wonder whether that we will take of it always mean free charge. Is it necessary to further confirm whether it is free or not when one hears the store people say we will take care of it? How do you respond after you hear we will take care of it? Thank you for your answer.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Your thread title says "take care of it" and then you forgot the word "care" all four of the times that you should have used it in the actual question. "We will take of it" doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, the answer, is it depends. What are the circumstances?

We will take care of it could mean we will do it at no cost to you/we will pay for it/there is no charge.

It could also mean we will deal with it/look after it/do it for you and so on, with or without charge.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

Your thread title says "take care of it" and then you forgot the word "care" all four of the times that you should have used it in the actual question. "We will take of it" doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, the answer, is it depends. What are the circumstances?

We will take care of it could mean we will do it at no cost to you/we will pay for it/there is no charge.

It could also mean we will deal with it/look after it/do it for you and so on, with or without charge.
I have added the care. What will you respond if you hear the store people say we will take care of it after you show the store people the product problem? Thank you only or you will further confirm the repair will be free or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Roman55 suggested, it's impossible to say exactly what they mean. You would need to clarify it with them.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ask them if there will be a charge.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you only or you will further confirm the repair will be free or not?

He did- he said it could be with or without charge. I would say it depends on their legal obligations- if they have to do it without charge they will. If they dont, they may charge. Mike is right- ask them.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He did- he said it could be with or without charge. I would say it depends on their legal obligations- if they have to do it without charge they will. If they dont, they may charge. Mike is right- ask them.
I have tried to ask one more time - will you charge it. The store people still replied we will take care of it. After the service is done, the store did not charge. So, that we will take care of it seems free charge.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On that occasion, it meant free of charge. You cannot extrapolate from one incident the meaning of such a phrase in English. You only found out afterwards that that particular store meant they would do it for free. If you assume that is always the case, I imagine you will be disappointed at some point.

compiler

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On that occasion, it meant free of charge. You cannot extrapolate from one incident the meaning of such a phrase in English. You only found out afterwards that that particular store meant they would do it for free. If you assume that is always the case, I imagine you will be disappointed at some point.
If the store will charge, the store probably will not say we will take care of it. Instead, they probably will say we will repair it or they will tell the customer the fee after say we will take care of it. If the store only says we will take care of it, it seems free charge.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, you have clearly made up your mind what the phrase means and you are determined to ignore what all the native speakers have told you. There is nothing else to say. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.