Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you think the underlined means? This is about the disabled celebrity Aimee Mullins. Did she try to find out mental or spiritual values of beauty other than physical one? Physical definition of "humannness" seems to mean we tend to define human beings mainly in the aspect of physical being. Does this "physical" mean "bodily" or "of material things related to physics"?

4p) British fashion designer Alexander McQueen and photographer Nick Knight wanted to bring new ideas of beauty by using people with disabilities as fashion models. They offered me my first fashion shoot. Three months later, I appeared in my first fashion show in London on a pair of handmade wooden legs. The legs are a work of art, with large flowers carved into them. People could see the prosthetic legs as something beautiful, not strange. In my next experience I had with artist Matthew Barney, I started to explore beyond the physical definition of "humanness" as the only concept of beauty. In his film I appeared in one scene with legs made of glass.
In his film I appeared in one scene with legs made of glass. Another character I played was a half woman, half-cheetah, in honor of my life as an athlete.
The purpose of these legs is to challenge our old concepts of beauty. Yes, creativity matters. We are now living in an age that encourages creative changes.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This seems to be hard even for native speakers, I added more context for your careful judegement. So if anyone can understand this, please answer me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This seems to be hard even for native speakers, I added more context for your careful judegement. So if anyone can understand this, please answer me.
explore beyond the physical definition of "humanness" as the only concept of beauty.
It doesn't make sense. It's phrased badly, so it's not entirely clear what she means.
On the surface, it appears that Aimee Mullins believes there is only one concept of beauty. This concept derives from a physical definition of humanness (a definition of humanness that takes into consideration only physical attributes). Mullins wants to explore beyond that putative definition for other concepts of beauty.

I think what she means is that there is only one concept of human physical beauty, and that she wants to look beyond that. But that's just my best guess.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I totally agree with you and that's what I felt. So if we switch the order like this, it would make more sense, I guess.

explore beyond the only concept of beauty as the physical definition of "humanness"

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I totally agree with you and that's what I felt. So if we switch the order like this, it would make more sense, I guess.

explore beyond the only concept of beauty as the physical definition of "humanness"
That's no better expressed than the original. If you know what it (probably) means, there's nothing to be gained by simply rearranging a bad sentence, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.