any body can help me??thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imthinker

Member Type
Student or Learner
what is the meaning of "it's not in the stars"!

it is from a dialog that talking about the company's product.maybe it is about the quality???i am not sure!

thanks in advance!!!:up:

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: it's not in the stars

It means it is not fated to happen. From the belief that the position of stars and other objects in the sky can tell a person's fortune.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your question has been answered, but can I ask that in future posts you use correct capitalisation. There was not a single capital letter in either of your posts.

Reminder:

Capitalise the first letter of every sentence.
Capitalise the word "I" at all times.
Capitalise the first letter of all proper nouns (William Shakespeare, London Bridge, Manchester United).

Thank you.

imthinker

Member Type
Student or Learner

It means it is not fated to happen. From the belief that the position of stars and other objects in the sky can tell a person's fortune.
thank you for your reply,and i have to ask if it is the only meaning of "it is not in the stars"? i mean ,if the "stars" represent the quality? just as you know the 5 stars is the best hotel . so do you think it is possible that "it is not in the stars" means it is not so good in quality??

imthinker

Member Type
Student or Learner
Your question has been answered, but can I ask that in future posts you use correct capitalisation. There was not a single capital letter in either of your posts.

Reminder:

Capitalise the first letter of all proper nouns (William Shakespeare, London Bridge, Manchester United).

Thank you.
Ok ,I will !:oops:
Thank you!lol

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

thank you for your reply,and i have to ask if it is the only meaning of "it is not in the stars"? i mean ,if the "stars" represent the quality? just as you know the 5 stars is the best hotel . so do you think it is possible that "it is not in the stars" means it is not so good in quality??
No, I think it's unlikely that it has anything to do with a quality rating, I think Dave's answer was the right one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok ,I will !:oops:
Thank you!lol

Thank you! It's good to get into the habit of doing this now, as the longer you write/type without capitalisation the more difficult it becomes to change the habit.

Two more points:

1) You do not put a space before a comma, but you do put one after a comma. The same goes for a full stop, question mark, exclamation mark. Look at your "Ok ,I will !" sentence. It should read "OK, I will!"

2) "OK" is written all in capitals.

imthinker

Member Type
Student or Learner

Reminder:

Thank you.
Would you please tell me what do you think about the "it is not in stars"?

Thanks in advance!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you please tell me what do you think about the "it is not in stars"?

Thanks in advance!

I agree with both the previous replies. It's a reference to astrology. If something is said to be "in the stars" then it means that it is meant/destined to happen.

Some people believe that the stars can foretell the future (astrology), so if they think that something is "in the stars", they mean that it can be "seen" in the astrological configuration of the stars (and planets). If you believe in that sort of thing! :-D

imthinker

Member Type
Student or Learner
I agree with both the previous replies. It's a reference to astrology. If something is said to be "in the stars" then it means that it is meant/destined to happen.

Some people believe that the stars can foretell the future (astrology), so if they think that something is "in the stars", they mean that it can be "seen" in the astrological configuration of the stars (and planets). If you believe in that sort of thing! :-D
Thank you, I think I get it now.
You are a good teacher, thanks for your help!
Have a good day!

Status
Not open for further replies.