Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

As far as I know, the usual order of adjectives is:

opinion - age - size/shape - temperature - colour - origin - material - purpose + noun

However, I have seen a new list of adjectives that goes as follow:

Opinion - size or ___________, texture, pattern or ___________, ___________+ noun

I think the book where I have seen this list makes a reference to: patterns, shape, texture, materials and "others" - including, in this last category, adjectives such as "high-heeled" and "long-sleeved".

So, I wonder if you could help me out with this new (for me) list of adjectives. Obviously, I don't know which type of adjective should go in the different gaps.

Thank you for your help.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello again,

Could it be listed as:

Opinion, size or shape, texture, pattern or texture, colour + noun ?

Anyway, adjectives such as "high-heeled" or "long-sleeved" where should they go?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello again,

Could it be listed as:

Opinion, size or shape, texture, pattern or texture, colour + noun ?

Anyway, adjectives such as "high-heeled" or "long-sleeved" where should they go?

Thank you.
"A blue, size 38, long-sleeved woollen sweater." Is that what you mean?

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"A blue, size 38, long-sleeved woollen sweater." Is that what you mean?

Yes, I was asking if I am right listing the adjective that way...

Thank you. Your example is great. :-D

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) The order of adjectives confuses me, too.

(2) I found two more lists that might give you some added insight.

(3) They are both credited to The Grammar Book by Mesdames Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman.

1.determiner (The) 2. subjective or evaluative adjective (poor) 3. measurement (little) 4. coloration (pink) 5, material (plastic) 6. head noun (doll). Another example: An ugly old black wooden statue.

1, determiner (an) 2. opinion (ugly) 3. size (big) 4. shape (round) 5. condition (chipped) 6. age (old) 7. color (blue) 8. origin/material (French) 9. noun (vase).

(4) Could we say: A beautiful medium-sized long-sleeved new red cotton shirt.

I do not know. What do you think?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I think we would be unlikely to, but we could.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
NOT A TEACHER

(1) The order of adjectives confuses me, too.

(2) I found two more lists that might give you some added insight.

(3) They are both credited to The Grammar Book by Mesdames Celce-Murcia and Larsen-Freeman.

1.determiner (The) 2. subjective or evaluative adjective (poor) 3. measurement (little) 4. coloration (pink) 5, material (plastic) 6. head noun (doll). Another example: An ugly old black wooden statue.

1, determiner (an) 2. opinion (ugly) 3. size (big) 4. shape (round) 5. condition (chipped) 6. age (old) 7. color (blue) 8. origin/material (French) 9. noun (vase).

Do you really speak like that in everyday language, or is it just for books? I wonder if it is only for us - foreigners - to become crazy....:-D

Thank you for your answer

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you really speak like that in everyday language, or is it just for books? I wonder if it is only for us - foreigners - to become crazy....:-D

NOT A TEACHER

The two scholars whom I cited mention two other scholars (Praninskas and Svatko) who

remind us "that sequences of more than three adjectives SELDOM [my emphasis] occur
in speech or writing and that two-adjective sequences are the most typical ones."

As Teacher Fivejedjon so diplomatically and gently put it, my made-up example in my first post is "unlikely." (Brutal translation: "absurd")

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Teacher Fivejedjon so diplomatically and gently put it, my made-up example in my first post is "unlikely." (Brutal translation: "absurd")
'Absurd' is a little harsh.:)

It is a good example of how the adjectives would be ordered if we were ever to want to use so many, and it is a possible English sentence. It is probably more useful as an example than this set:

A beautiful new red cotton shirt.
A medium-sized long-sleeved cotton shirt.
A beautiful long-sleeved red shirt.
A medium-sized long-sleeved red cotton shirt.
A long-sleeved new red cotton shirt.
A beautiful long-sleeved new cotton shirt.
...etcetc.

We are more likely to hear these than your example, but they are not so helpful in picturing how we order adjectives.

ratóncolorao

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

I wonder if the pre-established order for adjectives is a very strict rule… here I write one example I have just seen while reading one article on the BBC page:

BBC News - Sir Paul McCartney marries US heiress Nancy Shevell

“Ms Shevell wore a white, long-sleeved dress…..” while in the examples given by The Parser and Fivejedjon the colour comes after the adjective “long-sleeved” – following very precisely the rule.
Now, paying closer attention to the example given by Bhaisahab, we see that he also puts the colour in the first place: “A blue, size 38, long-sleeved….”

So, is there a strict rule to follow? Or, on the contrary, it is not very striking to see a different order depending on the situation, on the adjectives themselves, etc.....

I would like to know about it in order not to feel too confused in case of forgetting which one comes first.

Thank you very much.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is far from a strict rule. In fact, there is no 'rule' at all. There are simply observations on how native speakers generally order adjectives. In my speech, I possibly put 'new' in a different position from the one TheParser chose. I did not comment on this, because the suggestions TheParser made were generally useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.