Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she make a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?
And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).

6)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.
Q. Which doesn't belong to the passage? 5
1. Initially, she was hesitant about her role.
2.She is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills.
3. So far, she has made eight successful free throws.
4. She deeply felt the love of her teammates.
5. Each time she makes a successful free throw, the spectators cheer wildly.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she makes a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. Your reasoning is correct. Therefore, #5 is the correct answer. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?IMO, in this context, "try" means just throwing the ball towards the basket, while "make" means actually scoring the shot.
And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).Eight in a row is her record so far; so, no, she has not made more.

6)Despite her initial hesitation, Cylie herself is now extremely happy about the rule that was designed especially for her. Now Cylie enjoys being part of a team again and is proud of her improving free throw shooting skills. She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row. But most importantly, she knows that none of this would ever have happened without the support and encouragement of her teammates, all of whom have grown particularly close to one another. “We’re all like sisters,” explained one. “We’re a big family.” So each time Cylie steps onto the basketball court to take free throws, the spectators cheer wildly - not just for a brave young girl, but for an entire team.

charliedeut

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Isn't "eight in a row" a part of her total shots so far? She could have made 8 in a row, 5 in a row, 3 in a row, or just one shot between other shots. So the sentence could imply there have been other types of shots as well, but I'm not sure.

And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).Eight in a row is her record so far; so, no, she has not made more.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Isn't "eight in a row" a part of her total shots so far? She could have made 8 in a row, 5 in a row, 3 in a row, or just one shot between other shots. So the sentence could imply there have been other types of shots as well, but I'm not sure.

It means that, every time she went to the free throw line, she scored. That went on for eight free throws in a row. Note that, in basketball, there must be plays between free throws, as these are only granted to a player who received a foul (except for those granted after a Technical Foul is called for disrespect to the referees, for example. In such case, the head coach can choose which player will shoot them).

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! But if any other native speaker feels this is only part of her records, please let me know. But for now, I firmly believe it's the only record she has made so far as charlie said.

She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots in a row.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.
I'd choose 3, which I think is not mentioned in the passage.

So far, she has made eight successful free throws.

I interpret the sentence above as follows:

"So far, (in her life) she has made (only) eight successful free throws.", which is different from

"She even set her new personal record of making eight successful shots(=free throws) in a row."

What do you think?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You have the opposite opinion of his, it's actully quite confusing. I'd rather find out her records on the Internet or ask anyone related to give me the information.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You have the opposite opinion of his, it's actully quite confusing. I'd rather find out her records on the Internet or ask anyone related to give me the information.

Hello again.:-D

I'm not really sure if my interpretation is the opposite of charlie's, but I agree that we need some help from native speakers.

Let me rephrase the sentence in question.

"So far, (in her life) she has made free throws (only) eight times. (They are all successful.)"

The sentence does not mention her personal record. It does mention her experience as a basketball player so far.

I might be wrong, but that is how I interpret it.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer for this question is 5, but 5's Each time she makes a successful free throw sounds kind of vague. It's not when she make a successful shot, but when she steps onto the court to try a shot that the spectators cheer for her. I think "make a shot" and "try a shot" is different, what do you think?
And for 3, we have no information on how many successful shots she made, but it's quite possible, she has made more than (eight successful shots in a row).

Option #3 is not specified in the text. The reference is to the number of successful shots in a row (those shots taken one after the other, totaling eight), not the total number of shots she has taken during her athletic career. Option #5 is flawed because the reference is to when she takes free throws, not when she makes a successful free shot. Option #4 is suspicious because feeling "love" is not the same as being "like sisters", or, "We're a big family".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Additionally, I'd like to know the difference among the three.
1.take a free throw(shot) - Does this mean "just to be given a chance to throw a shot"?
2.make a successful free shot - "suceed in free shot"?
3.fail a free shot - how do you say the opposite of 2?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Cylie Pastian suffered from bone cancer in her right leg and was not able to risk hard physical contact. To enable her to continue playing basketball a special rule was established so she could act as scorer on the bench and only go onto the court to shoot the free throws for her team. Other than taking the free throws, she did not participate in general play on the court. Her record at the time the piece was written, maybe about 2008/9, was to have shot eight consecutive free throws successfully.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry I don't get your answer. My question was about how to say three different expressions in basketball.

1.take a free throw(shot) - Does this mean "just to be given a chance to throw a shot"?
2.make a successful free shot - "suceed in free shot"?
3.fail a free shot - how do you say the opposite of 2?

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

Sorry keannu, I wasn't specifically addressing those questions. The point I was making is that any discussion of Cylie having had shots other than free throws is irrelevant in this case.
It's been a long time since I played basketball but here's what I know.
1) A free throw is given when a team commits a foul. A player from the other team then stands on the free throw line and has an unimpeded shot at the goal. Depending on the type of foul and where it happens, either one, two or three free throws are awarded at any one time and each throw counts for one point.
2,3) As with all sports there are many ways such things are described, but a when a player is successful with a shot they are commonly said to have "made the shot", and when not successful, to have "missed the shot".

Status
Not open for further replies.