Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I heard a woman said, "stock up on pierce and ping ?" when I was watching The Lewis, I googled "pierce and ping" and some cooking articles are found. Through the articles, I understand that it means "ready made" but why ?

And is it common expression ?

Thank U

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard a woman [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] say "Stock up on pierce and ping?" when I was watching The Lewis. I googled "pierce and ping" and I found some cooking articles. [STRIKE]are found.[/STRIKE] Through the articles, I understand that it means "ready made" but why?

And is it common expression?

Thank you.

I'd never heard it before but I can easily work out where it comes from. The kind of "ready meal" it's talking about is one that comes in a plastic tray, covered with a clear plastic film lid and which is designed to be cooked in the microwave. The instructions on those meals is that you "pierce" the thin plastic film lid before putting it in the microwave, switch the microwave on and wait for it to "ping", indicating that the cooking time is over and your (very lazy) meal is ready.

Note my corrections above. "u" is not a word. Use full English words on the forum. Also remember that we don't put a space before a question mark.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You live and learn- this was new to me.:up:

langue

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you so much for your reply, i would never have that clear explanation, I also greatly appreciate your correction of my writing . no English teacher here corrects grammar /writing.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much for your reply. I would never have worked that out myself. [STRIKE]clear explanation,[/STRIKE] I also greatly appreciate your correction of my writing. No English teacher here corrects grammar/writing.

You're welcome, though please note that there is no need to write a post to say "Thank you" to anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button.

Take care with your punctuation and your spacing around punctuation.

A sentence ends with a full stop (or question mark or exclamation mark), not a comma.
Don't put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
Don't put a space before or after a slash (the mark you put between "grammar" and "writing").

Status
Not open for further replies.