Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello!

Could you please help me with correcting this text? Thank you!

The following work is dedicated to a loanwords from the Nahuatl language in the Mexican variety of the Spanish language. The first chapter concers the history, the classification and the features of the Nahuatl language. The second part deals with the definition, the types and the processes of loanwords integration, including the attitudes towards them. The last chapter consists of the characteristics of the Mexican variety, a table with fifteen words of Nahuatl origin that appears in different sayings and cultural examples in which these expressions appear.

It's a "professional" resume so maybe there are some works which I need to change.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello!

Could you please help me with correcting this text? Thank you!

The following work is dedicated to [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] loanwords from the Nahuatl language, [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] a Mexican variety of the Spanish language. The first chapter concerns (covers) the history, the classification and the features of the Nahuatl language. The second part deals with the definition, the types and the processes of loanwords integration, including the attitudes towards them. The last chapter [STRIKE]consists of[/STRIKE] presents the characteristics of the Mexican variety, a table with fifteen words of Nahuatl origin that appear[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] in different sayings and cultural examples in which these expressions appear.

It's a "professional" resume so maybe there are some works which I need to change.

See above.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

he following work is dedicated to a loanwords from the Nahuatl language, [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] a Mexican variety of the Spanish language.
Doesn't that correction make the sentence say that Nahuatl is a variety of the Spanish language?

I think the author wanted to say that Mexican Spanish has loanwords from Nahuatl.

Nahuatl is an Aztecan language from Mesoamerica. It's not even an Indo-European language, let alone a variety of Spanish.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

ReneChopinDays

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, that´s exactly what I wanted to say :) Thank you very much tedmc!

Not a teacher
------

Doesn't that correction make the sentence say that Nahuatl is a variety of the Spanish language?

I think the author wanted to say that Mexican Spanish has loanwords from Nahuatl.

Nahuatl is an Aztecan language from Mesoamerica. It's not even an Indo-European language, let alone a variety of Spanish.

Am I missing something?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Not a teacher
------

Am I missing something?

Then the comma should not have been there. The comma makes it confusing

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, that´s exactly what I wanted to say :) Thank you very much tedmc!

Then The following work is dedicated to a loanwords from the Nahuatl language, a Mexican variety of the Spanish language doesn't say that.

Question to the teachers:

Is The following work is dedicated to a loanwords from the Nahuatl language in (a/the) Mexican variety of the Spanish language correct and factual? I don't know whether there are more than one variety of Mexican Spanish.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's been a misunderstanding. ReneChopinDays thanked the wrong person. Glizdka's feeling in post #3 is correct—the idea is that the loanwords are loaned from Nahuatl into Spanish. They are two distinct languages.

This sentence badly needs changing:

The second part deals with the definition, the types and the processes of loanwords integration, including the attitudes towards them.

Are you talking about loanwords or the integration of loanwords? What is the part heading? What are the subheadings?

Also, please explain how this excerpt is from an academic linguistics text yet you describe it as a 'professional resume', and title the thread 'Translation'.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try;

maybe there are some words I need to change.

ReneChopinDays

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Yes, the idea is that there are some loanwords from Nahuatl language in (which exists) a/the (?) Mexican variety of Spanish.

The second chapter is about loandwords, their types and processes of their integration (loadwords).

The resume has to be as concise as possible. I can use just five lines explaining the topic of my investigation.

Thank you for your help!

There's been a misunderstanding. ReneChopinDays thanked the wrong person. Glizdka's feeling in post #3 is correct—the idea is that the loanwords are loaned from Nahuatl into Spanish. They are two distinct languages.

This sentence badly needs changing:

The second part deals with the definition, the types and the processes of loanwords integration, including the attitudes towards them.

Are you talking about loanwords or the integration of loanwords? What is the part heading? What are the subheadings?

Also, please explain how this excerpt is from an academic linguistics text yet you describe it as a 'professional resume', and title the thread 'Translation'.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

There are some loanwords from Nahuatl in Mexican Spanish.

Or:

Mexican Spanish has some loanwords from Nahautl.

(Please post your response to quoted material after the quote.)

Status
Not open for further replies.