Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi all,

I appreciate your help regarding the below e-mail. I am going to send it to a CEO that I don't know personally.

"I of course respect your decision whether or not I join the bank. But in business world, sometimes we know the value of things after some time.

It might come a day in which the bank knows that it was better for it to bring a high calibre who is talented, a caliber who has in his pouch a lot to offer to the bank, a caliber who really can add a value to it ."

Thanks,

EE

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you really planning to write to a CEO to say "You didn't offer me a job but trust me when I say that one day you'll change your mind when you realise how great I am"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As you have been told in other threads, Economist, accept that you have been turned down; move on. If you try this sort of thing every time you are turned down, the word is going to get around, and your applications won't even be considered in the future - by anybody.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Are you really planning to write to a CEO to say "You didn't offer me a job but trust me when I say that one day you'll change your mind when you realise how great I am"?

Yes, that's exactly what I want to say.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, that's exactly what I want to say.

It doesn't matter how you dress it up with formal language, that's what it says and it will get you exactly nowhere. This is the last time I am going to repeat the advice above - you didn't get the job. Move on.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It doesn't matter how you dress it up with formal language, that's what it says and it will get you exactly nowhere. This is the last time I am going to repeat the advice above - you didn't get the job. Move on.

I liked your feedback. Thanks ��

But I didn't like it when you said "this is the last time". The tone is not soft, on the contrary, I felt that it is aggressive.

I am here emsr2d2 to get my writings better not to have advice in that tone. However, when you or other team members give a sincere advice, I accept it with thanks.

I come up with this email as in my culture it is acceptable especially when I used a diplomatic way I.e: I said "it was better for it to bring a high calibre" and didn't say "it will regret".

At the end, I fully respect your advice and appreciate them as long as they are in a soft tone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can call it aggressive. I intended it to be forceful. Despite your saying that you appreciate our advice, you don't seem to follow it. Since there is clearly a cultural divide here, I'm going to leave it to others to deal with your posts from now on (if they want to).
I wish you good luck in your job search.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You can call it aggressive. I intended it to be forceful. Despite your saying that you appreciate our advice, you don't seem to follow it. Since there is clearly a cultural divide here, I'm going to leave it to others to deal with your posts from now on (if they want to).
I wish you good luck in your job search.

Thanks emsr2d2 for your reply.

Yes, I appreciate your advice and others' advice but sometimes it depends on the person to whom I will send the emails I.e: to a native Arabic speaker, I can send such strong e-mail in this thread so the ball is in my court. If it is a native English speaker, the ball is in your court and I accept all of your advice because of course you know better than me.

I still appreciate to have your suggestions and advice on my posts but in a soft tone it will be much appreciated :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree there does appear to be a cultural divide here, but you should remember that you're the one who should be accommodating the CEO's culture. What is his/her first language? Which country is this bank in?

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I agree there does appear to be a cultural divide here, but you should remember that you're the one who should be accommodating the CEO's culture. What is his/her first language? Which country is this bank in?

He is Egyptian. His first language is Arabic. The bank is in Egypt.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Have I misunderstood something? Your profile information says your first language is Arabic and that you're from Egypt.

Is that true? If so, why are you writing in English? And where's the culture divide? :shock:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting. He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.
That's the cultural divide I was talking about. A lot of the things Economist says would be unacceptable if used by native English speakers (or anyone) to another native speaker, in the situation provided. However, Economist claims that they are quite acceptable when used by one Arabic speaker to another, even when expressed in English.
I readily admit that I am unable to put myself in Economist's shoes in order to help with that sort of letter because I will simply end up deleting most of it.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you have been told in other threads, Economist, accept that you have been turned down; move on. If you try this sort of thing every time you are turned down, the word is going to get around, and your applications won't even be considered in the future - by anybody.
I've told him all that several times in other threads.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting. He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.
That's the cultural divide I was talking about. A lot of the things Economist says would be unacceptable if used by native English speakers (or anyone) to another native speaker, in the situation provided. However, Economist claims that they are quite acceptable when used by one Arabic speaker to another, even when expressed in English.
I readily admit that I am unable to put myself in Economist's shoes in order to help with that sort of letter because I will simply end up deleting most of it.
I assume from his avatar that he's a he — or that she wants us to treat him as a he.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I liked your feedback. Thanks. ��

But I didn't like it when you said "this is the last time". The tone is not soft. On the contrary, I feel that it is aggressive.

I am here, emsr2d2, to make my writing better, not to get advice in that tone.

In this context, writing is not countable.

However, when you or other team members give a sincere advice, I accept it with thanks.

Actually, you don't always accept it. That can be frustrating for us. For example, you're still not punctuating the ends of all your sentences.

That's why we sometimes say things more emphatically to you than to other students.

I come up with this email as in my culture it is acceptable, especially when I used a diplomatic way I.e: I said "It was better for it to bring a high calibre."

That phrase doesn't make sense. What you probably mean is: "It would be better to bring in a higher-calibre person."

Unfortunately, that means you think that the person doing the job now is low-calibre.

That is not diplomatic. It is tactless!

and didn't say "it will regret".

That phrase doesn't make sense, either. Things don't feel regret. Only people have regrets.

In the end, I fully respect your advice and appreciate it

Advice is not countable.

. . . as long as it is a polite tone.

Ems was simply saying it straight. You often disagree with our advice about our own native language and culture. Ems was using forceful language because you haven't been taking a lot of our advice.
Again: There is no tactful way to say in English what you want to say. So don't try. Either say it straight or don't say it at all. If the company insists on English-language communication, you need to understand what is polite and rude in English.

And since you didn't get the job, why are you writing to them at all?

Notice that it's still unclear whether you're writing to the current or former head of the company. But writing to either one doesn't make sense, since you have already been rejected.

Notice also that in past threads, We have corrected your grammar on this very letter. Why are you rewriting it?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We've been through this before, when Economist2010 first started posting.

Oh, sorry. I hadn't noticed that.

He/she said that regardless of the nationality of the applicant, the HR department or any other staff, or the location of the bank, all the jobs he/she is applying for require all communication to be made in English.

Why do you think so, Economist2010? I'm sure that isn't true. If you're applying for a job in Egypt, apply in Arabic, not in English. Problem solved.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Oh, sorry. I hadn't noticed that.

Why do you think so, Economist2010? I'm sure that isn't true. If you're applying for a job in Egypt, apply in Arabic, not in English. Problem solved.

No, I can not apply in Arabic. English is dominant in all organisations especially in business emails. No emails in Arabic at all.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Again: There is no tactful way to say in English what you want to say. So don't try. Either say it straight or don't say it at all. If the company insists on English-language communication, you need to understand what is polite and rude in English.

And since you didn't get the job, why are you writing to them at all?

Notice that it's still unclear whether you're writing to the current or former head of the company. But writing to either one doesn't make sense, since you have already been rejected.

Notice also that in past threads, We have corrected your grammar on this very letter. Why are you rewriting it?

Thanks Charlie for your feedback.

I would like to highlight that it becomes a habit for me to take care of punctuations especially at the end of any sentence. I am sure that you noticed that in all my writings since you and emsr2d2 advised me to take care of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.