Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“In Europe, taxes account for up to four-fifths of the retail price, so even quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past." (RET.194)
May I ask: Supposing muted effect = 10, how much are much muted effect and less muted effect respectively?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
“In Europe, taxes account for up to four-fifths of the retail price, so even quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past." (RET.194)
May I ask: Supposing muted effect = 10, how much are much muted effect and less muted effect respectively?
Thanks!
"More muted means" > 10; "Less muted" means < 10. "Much muted" is unrateable.
"Much more muted" would depend on how much more, and would also depend on what sort of scale you are using, eg. is it logarithmic?

That is, "more" and "less" and "much" have their usual meanings.

By the way: (RET.194) is not a reference. It's meaningless.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Much more muted" would depend on how much more, and would also depend on what sort of scale you are using, eg. is it logarithmic?

I see.Thank you for your careful answer!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Besides, a Chinese book puts the half part of the sentence like this:... "even quite big changes in the price of crude oil happens now, its effect on the pump price will be less than in the past."

What do you think of the Chinese translation?

In my opinion, the original sentence is omitted its main clause, it can be added like this:
In Europe, taxes account for up to four-fifths of the retail price, so even quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past, it won't matter much.
Please give some comments on my ideas!
Thanks a lot!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. Besides, a Chinese book puts the second half [STRIKE]part [/STRIKE]of the sentence like this:... "even if quite a big change in the price of crude oil happens now, its effect on the pump price will be less than in the past."

What do you think of the Chinese translation?
It's OK with "if" in it.

In my opinion, the original sentence is omitted its main clause, it can be added like this:

2. In Europe, taxes account for up to four-fifths of the retail price, so even quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past, it won't matter much.
Please give some comments on my ideas!
Thanks a lot!
No, the original sentence in Post 1 is correct.
Perhaps you are reading an "if" into your sentence 2.:
3. "So even if quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past, it won't matter much.
The main clause here is "It won't matter much".

But
there is no "if" in the sentence.
4. "So [conjunction] even quite big changes in the price of crude oil [subject] have [verb] a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past [object]" The main clause here is the whole sentence.

5. "So even if big changes have a more muted effect than they used to, it doesn't matter". OK
6. "So even big changes have a more muted effect than they used to". OK

Do you understand the difference?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, the original sentence in Post 1 is correct.
Perhaps you are reading an "if" into your sentence 2.:
3. "So even if quite big changes in the price of crude oil have a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past, it won't matter much.
The main clause here is "It won't matter much".

But
there is no "if" in the sentence.
4. "So [conjunction] even quite big changes in the price of crude oil [subject] have [verb] a more muted effect on pump prices than in the past [object]" The main clause here is the whole sentence.

5. "So even if big changes have a more muted effect than they used to, it doesn't matter". OK
6. "So even big changes have a more muted effect than they used to". OK

Do you understand the difference?

You are an indefatigable teacher.Thank you. I see all you said and agree with you
. Now , please give a comment on the sentence “even if quite a big change in the price of crude oil happens now, its effect on the pump price will be less than in the past.", from the view point of translation, according to the original one. In my eyes, it’s not good to use “ less “ instead of “ a more muted”. “A little more “ is better. What’s your idea?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Even if quite a big change in the price of crude oil happens now, its effect on the pump price will be less than in the past."
from the view point of translation, according to the original one. In my eyes, it’s not good to use “ less “ instead of “ a more muted”.
“A little more “ is better. What’s your idea?
"A little more" is better than what? That is the opposite of "more muted" or "less".
A more muted effect is less of an effect, not a little more of an effect.
Yes, that sentence is OK. Whether you use "more muted" or "less" is a stylistic choice which doesn't change the meaning.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, that sentence is OK. Whether you use "more muted" or "less" is a stylistic choice which doesn't change the meaning.

"A more muted effect is less of an effect, not a little more of an effect." muted = 10, more muted > 10, said by you.
Sorry , I am so stupid a man that I couldn't understand a more muted effect than in the past is less than in the past. Can you try and help me?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

"A more muted effect is less of an effect, not a little more of an effect." muted = 10, more muted > 10, said by you.
Sorry , I am so stupid a man that I couldn't understand a more muted effect than in the past is less than in the past. Can you try and help me?
Thanks!
Sorry, I don't understand the tenses you're using. Are you saying you still don't understand it?

Look up 'mute' or 'muted'. It means lessened. A muted sound is less of a sound. If you mute it more, it becomes even less than before.
A more muted sound is even less of a sound.
A much more muted effect is even less of an effect than before.
"More muted" is not "More (but muted)" It's less!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, I don't understand the tenses you're using. Are you saying you still don't understand it?

Look up 'mute' or 'muted'. It means lessened. A muted sound is less of a sound. If you mute it more, it becomes even less than before.
A more muted sound is even less of a sound.
A much more muted effect is even less of an effect than before.
"More muted" is not "More (but muted)" It's less!
Thank you for your immediate answer!
In my last post , I used " could" not " can", intending to show an euphemism.
You had said , " if muted = 10, more muted > 10," but last time you said ,' A muted sound is less of a sound. If you mute it more, it becomes even less than before." Isn't "mute it more" more muted?
In short, in the meaning , I think, muted is a little, more muted is a little more than a little, ie. a little on the whole, which even can be neglected. I am right, aren't I?
Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you for your immediate answer!
In my last post , I used " could" not " can", intending to show an euphemism.
You had said , " if muted = 10, more muted > 10," but last time you said ,' A muted sound is less of a sound. If you mute it more, it becomes even less than before." Isn't "mute it more" more muted?
In short, in the meaning , I think, muted is a little, more muted is a little more than a little, ie. a little on the whole, which even can be neglected. I am right, aren't I?
Thanks!
In short, if your scale is one of mutedness; and muted = 10, then less muted is less than 10, even though it is louder.
"More little" = smaller; "More light" = lighter. If you want your scale to go the other way, don't call it a scale or smallness, lightness or muteness, because generally, if you have the measures X-ness, the more X something is, the higher a rating it gets. A refrigerator that scores 9/10 for quietness is very quiet, not very noisy.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In short, if your scale is one of mutedness; and muted = 10, then less muted is less than 10, even though it is louder.
"More little" = smaller; "More light" = lighter. If you want your scale to go the other way, don't call it a scale or smallness, lightness or muteness, because generally, if you have the measures X-ness, the more X something is, the higher a rating it gets. A refrigerator that scores 9/10 for quietness is very quiet, not very noisy.
I am too thankful to you to say anything for your patience. I see what you taught. Hoping to see you again!
Thank you indeed!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
You are an indefatigable teacher.Thank you. I see all you said and agree with you
. Now , please give a comment on the sentence “
even if quite a big change in the price of crude oil happens now, its effect on the pump price will be less than in the past.", from the view point of translation, according to the original one. In my eyes, it’s not good to use “ less “ instead of “ a more muted”. “A little more “ is better. What’s your idea?
Notletrest, take a look at the beginning of the second line in the quote box above. Can you see the period? It shouldn't be there. It belongs in the previous line, right after "you", without even a space, let alone a line break. The same goes for all periods, commas, question marks and exclamation marks you want to use.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Notletrest, take a look at the beginning of the second line in the quote box above. Can you see the period? It shouldn't be there. It belongs in the previous line, right after "you", without even a space, let alone a line break. The same goes for all periods, commas, question marks and exclamation marks you want to use.
Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
more muted is a little more than a little, ie. a little on the whole, which even can be neglected. I am right, aren't I?

More muted has to be in comparison with something- it is not the next stage on from little. It could be small or large depending on what it is compared to.

Last edited:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
More muted has to be in comparison with something- it is not the next stage on from little. It could be small orlare depending on what it is compared to.
Thanks to Tdol!
But what you said is too abstract to understand. Maybe you haven't read my original question. You said " it could be small or large depending on what it is compared to." If you are free, will you say it in detail combining my question.
Thank you very much!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The noise of a jet plane taking off is very loud.
The sound of a flea coughing is not very loud.

If you hold your hands over your ears both sounds will become muted.

If you hold your hands over your ears and close the windows (assuming that the jet plane and the flea are both outside your room), the sounds will become more muted.

If you hold your hands over your ears but open the window, the sounds will become less muted.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The noise of a jet plane taking off is very loud.
The sound of a flea coughing is not very loud.

If you hold your hands over your ears both sounds will become muted.

If you hold your hands over your ears and close the windows (assuming that the jet plane and the flea are both outside your room), the sounds will become more muted.

If you hold your hands over your ears but open the window, the sounds will become less muted.
Yours is a clever, easy-to understand one.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.