Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If I were looking for a certain book and there was only one in the library and they would only let it read in the reading room,could I ask the librarian "Can you please hold it for me for the next couple of days I'll be coming to the library?" Is it OK to use the future progressive with "going to" as in ".........I'm going to be coming to the library?"?

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
"Is OK to use the future progressive with "going to" as in ".........I'm going to be coming to the library?"

It's quite casual, and I've seen and heard this usage often. But, I'm not in favor of it and would advise you to use the simple future. "I'll be coming..." To me, that is more natural and sounds better.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Is OK to use the future progressive with "going to" as in ".........I'm going to be coming to the library?"

It's quite casual, and I've seen and heard this usage often. But, I'm not in favor of it and would advise you to use the simple future. "I'll be coming..." To me, that is more natural and sounds better.

Sorry for leaving out "it" in "Is OK". I've already corrected it. What about the question to the librarian? Is it OK?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sorry for leaving out "it" in "Is OK". I've already corrected it. What about the question to the librarian? Is it OK?
"Can you please hold it for me for the next couple of days I'll be coming to the library?"
If you want to say that you need to study the book over the next two days, say "I need to study this book over the next two days, as it's the only copy, could you hold it for me?"

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Can you please hold it for me for the next couple of days I'll be coming to the library?"
If you want to say that you need to study the book over the next two days, say "I need to study this book over the next two days, as it's the only copy, could you hold it for me?"

Thanks. I'll remember it. Is my question awkward?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What to me is incomprehensible, ostap, is why you used 'gonna' in the thread title. It has been made abundantly clear, in many threads, that this is not a form that we use in this forum.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What to me is incomprehensible, ostap, is why you used 'gonna' in the thread title. It has been made abundantly clear, in many threads, that this is not a form that we use in this forum.
No. It was the second question. The first one was about the question to the librarian.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It was the second question. The first one was about the question to the librarian.

The question remains - why did you use the word "gonna" in your title? Not only did it not appear anywhere in your question but, as 5jj said, it's a word which we have said over and over again is not acceptable on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.