Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I wrote a short letter for my foreign supervisor. Can I paste it here for checking? because I should write to him correctly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yes, you can, but please remove any personal information like names and addresses.

MK22

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is the below letter grammatically correct? and If I want to address my supervisor, say his first name or the last name which one is better and Politely?

Dear Jones,
I saw the Netherlands Embassy’s website. They recommended, for staying longer than 90 days, is better to apply through a sponsor in the Netherlands.
In addition, I asked this question (getting a visa?) of my some friends that spend their sabbatical in the Netherlands. They answered to me; your supervisor introduced you to the department secretary, after that she will take you some documents e.g. financial support and sending to Human Resource (HR) then HR sending to IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). After that, you should refer to Netherlands Embassy in your country and follow other processes.
Would you mind finding the attached my financial support?
Best Wishes,
M.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the [strike]below[/strike] letter below grammatically correct? [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] If I want to address my supervisor, [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] is it more polite to use his first name or [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] his last name? [STRIKE]which one is better and Politely?[/STRIKE]
It depends on the level of formality you normally use with your supervisor. If you usually address him by his first name, use that. If not, use "Mr" and his surname.

Dear Mr Jones,

I [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] have looked at the Netherlands Embassy’s website. They [STRIKE]recommended[/STRIKE] recommend that, for [STRIKE]staying[/STRIKE] stays of longer than 90 days, it is better to apply through a sponsor in the Netherlands.

In addition, I asked this question (about getting a visa no question mark here) of some of my [strike]some[/strike] friends [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] who [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] spent/are spending their sabbatical in the Netherlands. They [STRIKE]answered to[/STRIKE] told me (no semi-colon here) [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] that my supervisor [STRIKE]introduced[/STRIKE] should introduce [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] me to the department secretary, [STRIKE]after that she[/STRIKE] who will take [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] some documents from me [STRIKE]e.g.[/STRIKE] (such as a letter of financial support) and [STRIKE]sending[/STRIKE] send them to Human Resources (HR), who will then [STRIKE]HR sending[/STRIKE] send them to IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service). After that, [STRIKE]you should[/STRIKE] I will need to refer to the Netherlands Embassy [STRIKE]in your country[/STRIKE] here and follow other processes. (I don't know what the underlined part means.)

Would you mind finding the attached my financial support? The underlined part doesn't make sense. How can you attach the letter of financial support if your supervisor is supposed to provide it to you?

Best wishes/Regards/Yours

M.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.