[Vocabulary] What verb should I use to express success of infiltration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear teachers,
I ran across an expression, which reads: "Infiltration complete". It is meant to be striking; something of a one-liner in an advertisement.
I am having a little problem with the word "complete". It does not feel right. What would, though?
Certainly "infiltration successful", then I thought of "infiltration achieved", but that also sounds wrong: I do not think infiltration can be achieved.
If you tell me that "successful" is ok, then I will be happy. If not, please suggest other possibilities, however I would like to keep the word order.
Thank you very much.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,
I ran across an expression, which reads: "Infiltration complete". It is meant to be striking; something of a one-liner in an advertisement.
I am having a little problem with the word "complete". It does not feel right. What would, though?
Certainly "infiltration successful", then I thought of "infiltration achieved", but that also sounds wrong: I do not think infiltration can be achieved.
If you tell me that "successful" is ok, then I will be happy. If not, please suggest other possibilities, however I would like to keep the word order.
Thank you very much.

What is the context?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A drawing of a chicken on stilts among flamengos.

I think "successful" is fine. Another possibility is "accomplished'. The birds are "flamingos" in English.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People (or chickens) who successfully infiltrate usually relay their success by saying "I'm in."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People (or chickens) who successfully infiltrate usually relay their success by saying "I'm in."
That's true of people, but that would not be understood by many people in the context of this cartoon.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no problem with the use of "complete" in the original. "Successful" works too. They suggest that infiltration took a while but that process has now been completed.

Jigster

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you for your replies.
I would like to elaborate on the word "infiltration". How is it that it can be used with "successful" and not really with "complete"? Infiltration is a process, not a state, right? So it should be able to be complete as well as successful. Is it just a matter of "sounding right" or is there some science behind it? I use my gut on a daily basis in these situation so I would be fine with it.
EDIT: I started writing before emsr2d2 replied. Just letting you know, because the post would lack sense a little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.