Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In another topic, Raymontt said that the following two sentences have different meanings. What is the difference? I don't see any.

He has just bought a tomato, onion and water melon.
He has just bought a tomato, an onion and a water melon.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In another topic, Raymontt said that the following two sentences have different meanings. What is the difference? I don't see any.

He has just bought a tomato, onion and water melon.
He has just bought a tomato, an onion and a water melon.

It's possible (in some places, if not everywhere) to buy a portion of watermelon, which is not the same as buying a (whole) watermelon.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's possible (in some places, if not everywhere) to buy a portion of watermelon, which is not the same as buying a (whole) watermelon.

I completely agree. However, that doesn't answer my question that is unless I missed something. If I did miss something, please tell me what it is that I don't see.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

He has just bought a tomato, onion and watermelon.
He has just bought a tomato, an onion and a watermelon.
Without the article, 'onion' and 'watermelon' can act as mass nouns (uncountable).
I'll try to make it clearer with a similar example:

Tom: "We're having a picnic for 40 disadvantaged children, and we need help to make some salad."
Betty: "Great, how can I help?"
Tom a) "Can you bring tomato and onion?" b) "Can you bring a tomato and an onion?"

Only one of Toms answers (a or b) makes sense in the context. Therefore they can't mean the same thing.

PS: This is essentially what bhaisahab said.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Without the article, 'onion' and 'watermelon' can act as mass nouns (uncountable).
I'll try to make it clearer with a similar example:

Tom: "We're having a picnic for 40 disadvantaged children, and we need help to make some salad."
Betty: "Great, how can I help?"
Tom a) "Can you bring tomato and onion?" b) "Can you bring a tomato and an onion?"

Only one of Toms answers (a or b) makes sense in the context. Therefore they can't mean the same thing.

PS: This is essentially what bhaisahab said.

Fair enough. I completely forgot that foodstuffs can be uncountable. Let me present a different example. I imagine that the second sentence is not very natural, but if it is acceptable (even if barely), is there any difference in meaning between these two sentences?

In my bedroom, I have a desk, a floor lamp and a bed.
In my bedroom, I have a desk, floor lamp and bed.

P.S. What I'm trying to achieve here, is come up with a list in a context where the presence of "a" wouldn't make any difference.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
is there any difference in meaning between these two sentences?

Not for me.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not for me.

Thank you. I'd like to ask one more question. Is the second statement more or less natural than the first one. What would a native speaker be likely to say if they have to choose from the two?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you. I'd like to ask one more question. Is the second statement more or less natural than the first one. What would a native speaker be likely to say if they have to choose from the two?

I much prefer the first one.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What about naturalness? Would you say that the latter is correct English?
Carlos, I think you are trying to push for a definitive answer - and you are not going to get one. Tdol has told you that he feels there is no difference between the two; bhaisahab has told you he much prefers the first. I agree with Tdol in feeling that there is no difference; unlike bhai, I don't 'much' prefer the first, though that is possibly the one I would produce myself. bhai did not say that the second was incorrect; I feel that it is correct.

This is one of those areas of grammar where the speaker/writer has, in some contexts, free choice.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Carlos, I think you are trying to push for a definitive answer - and you are not going to get one. Tdol has told you that he feels there is no difference between the two; bhaisahab has told you he much prefers the first. I agree with Tdol in feeling that there is no difference; unlike bhai, I don't 'much' prefer the first, though that is possibly the one I would produce myself. bhai did not say that the second was incorrect; I feel that it is correct.

This is one of those areas of grammar where the speaker/writer has, in some contexts, free choice.

Thank you 5. That is exactly what I wanted to know and why I was "trying to push for a definitive answer" as you say.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I completely agree that the second is correct and commonly used. I reiterate that I prefer the first, it is almost certainly the way that I would say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.