Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I'm a little bit puzzled by 5jj's response in this thread. Because I know that I shouldn't ask unrelated questions in the same thread, I decided to open a new one. I'm assuming that 5jj's sentence is correct.

But would you have missed that splendid ten minutes?

Since "minutes" is plural, why isn't it "those" instead of "that"?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm a little bit puzzled by 5jj's response in this thread. Because I know that I shouldn't ask unrelated questions in the same thread, I decided to open a new one. I'm assuming that 5jj's sentence is correct.

Since "minutes" is plural, why isn't it "those" instead of "that"?

Thank you.

"Those" could have been used but I think 5jj regarded it as "a period of ten minutes", where "a period" is singular. The use of "that" didn't jump off the screen at me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Ten minutes is not a long time.

Once again, I am thinking of 'ten minutes' as a period of time.

I'm assuming that 5jj's sentence is correct.
I am arrogant enough to believe that I don't make many mistakes, apart from the typso that plauge my psots.

However, please don't assume that those of us who respond regularly are incapable of mistakes. We are simply giving our opinions. The fact that many of us have been teaching and/or writing for many years does not mean that we are perfect. I have used the :oops: several times since I joined the forum in posts in which I have apologised for an infelicity or solecism.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Ten minutes is not a long time.

Once again, I am thinking of 'ten minutes' as a period of time.

This way of using "that" seems new to me. Are there other contexts in which both "that" and "those" can be used? For example, are the following sentences correct?

1) But would you have missed that 40 pounds? (Here I'm regarding "40 pounds" as "money".)
2) But would you have missed that 20 litres of water? (Here I'm regarding "20 litres of water" as "amount of water".)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) But would you have missed that 40 pounds? (Here I'm regarding "40 pounds" as "money".)
2) But would you have missed that 20 litres of water? (Here I'm regarding "20 litres of water" as "amount of water".)
Both of those are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.