Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

Here are the lines from a student's assignment:
'-You just do not know anything about the Brazilian carnival! This is very interesting.
-But Brazil is not my cup of tea, but in general I do not care where to spend my holiday, the main thing for it to be quiet.'

I think that the expression 'it is not my cup of tea' sounds awkward in this context.
I would use this expression talking about my interest in some subjects, e.g. 'Math is not my cup of tea',
but I am not sure when speaking about my interest in a country.

What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

Here are the lines from a student's assignment:
'-You just do not know anything about the Brazilian carnival! This is very interesting.
-But Brazil is not my cup of tea, but in general I do not care where to spend my holiday, the main thing for it to be quiet.'

I think that the expression 'it is not my cup of tea' sounds awkward in this context.
I would use this expression talking about my interest in some subjects, e.g. 'Math is not my cup of tea',
but I am not sure when speaking about my interest in a country.

What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance.
It sounds fine to me. North Dakota is not my cup of tea because of the small population, cold winters and stong winds.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't like it. To say that you need to have experience with it. Maybe a flight attendant, or someone who knows lots of countries well could say this.
"Brazil wouldn't be my cup of tea" sounds OK.
More importantly, it's a run on sentence. The last clause should be separate. And the two 'buts' are not good writing.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sounds okay grammatically, but he clearly doesn't understand Brazil. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But Brazil is not my cup of tea, but in general I do not care where to spend my holiday, the main thing for it to be quiet.'
More importantly, it's a run on sentence. The last clause should be separate. And the two 'buts' are not good writing.
Oh, in addition to being a run on sentence, there's a verb left out: "The main thing is for it to be quiet."

Status
Not open for further replies.