Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi all,

I am not sure about the usage of "forget" and "understand".

If I am asked by someone that "Do you bring your umbrella with you?" I should answer "Ohh, I forgot" instead of using "I forget". Am I right?

If I am asked "Have you done the homework for me?", I should answer "I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you", but not "I understand ...", right?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi all,

I am not sure about the usage of "forget" and "understand".

If I am asked by someone that "Did you bring your umbrella with you?" I should answer "Ohh, I forgot" instead of using "I forget". Am I right? Yes.

If I am asked "Have you done the homework for me?", I should answer "I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you", but not "I understand ...", right? "I understood from Peter that he would..." or "I understand from Peter that he will..."

Thanks!

Bhai.

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks for your advice.

However, I do not understand why the present tense "understand" can be used. If Peter told me yesterday that he would do the homework for the guy I am speaking to, then it means I understood from Peter yesterday that he would do the homework for that guy. So why is that I can say I understand from Peter in the present tense? Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your advice.

However, I do not understand why the present tense "understand" can be used. If Peter told me yesterday that he would do the homework for the guy I am speaking to, then it means I understood from Peter yesterday that he would do the homework for that guy. So why is that I can say I understand from Peter in the present tense? Thanks!

Yes, but if the homework is not yet done but Peter has told you he will do it, your current understanding is that Peter will do it.

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thank you!

So that means I can say "I understand from Peter yesterday that he will do the homework for you"?

I do not understand why I cannot use "will" in the sentence "I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you". As I think the word "would" means you are uncertain whether Peter would do the homework or not.

Moreover, can I say "I understand from my brother that he is entitled to your goods"? or should I say "I understood from my brother that he was entitled to your goods"? my difficulty here is my brother was and is entitled to your goods. So what should I say? Thanks!

Yes, but if the homework is not yet done but Peter has told you he will do it, your current understanding is that Peter will do it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So that means I can say "I understand from Peter yesterday that he will do the homework for you"?
That is not very likely, in my opinion. If you are using the word 'yesterday', then you are anchoring your understanding in the past, and are more likely to use 'understood'.
I do not understand why I cannot use "will" in the sentence "I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you".
You can but, once again, it is unlikely. If you have anchored your understanding in the past, then you are likely to backshift the verbs reporting the situation understood.
As I think the word "would" means you are uncertain whether Peter would do the homework or not.
No. 'would' is here simply a backshifted form of 'will'.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello,
Could you tell me what are your thoughts when you first read the sentence?
I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you.
And can you give me one example/situation that the sentence can be used?
Thank!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,
Could you tell me what are your thoughts when you first read the sentence?
I understood from Peter that he will do the homework for you.
And can you give me one example/situation that the sentence can be used?
Thank!

My first thoughts with that statement are:

1) Peter gave me the information about your homework at some unspecified point in the past ("I understood").
2) Peter has not yet done your homework ("he will do the homework")

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Any view on the following? Thanks!

Moreover, can I say "I understand from my brother that he is entitled to your goods"? or should I say "I understood from my brother that he was entitled to your goods"? my difficulty here is my brother was and is entitled to your goods. So what should I say?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Any view on the following? Thanks!

Moreover, can I say "I understand from my brother that he is entitled to your goods"? or should I say "I understood from my brother that he was entitled to your goods"? my difficulty here is my brother was and is entitled to your goods. So what should I say?

Both are possible.

Jiayun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks!

I think I get what you mean. It seems to me that the usage of the word "understand" is a bit tricky when I am describing my understanding from someone in the past. What I get from you is that, so long as it is still my current understanding and the subject matter of my understanding is still true or is going to happen, I can use the present tense "understand" eventhough my understanding happened in the past. Am I right?

So I can say "I understand from my primary school teacher that the Earth is round in shape" but I cannot say "I understand from my primary school teacher that Bush is the president of the U.S", right?

There is no practical difference.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks!

I think I get what you mean. It seems to me that the usage of the word "understand" is a bit tricky when I am describing my understanding from someone in the past. What I get from you is that, so long as it is still my current understanding and the subject matter of my understanding is still true or is going to happen, I can use the present tense "understand" eventhough my understanding happened in the past. Am I right?

So I can say "I understand from my primary school teacher that the Earth is round in shape" but I cannot say "I understand from my primary school teacher that Bush is the president of the U.S", right?

I cannot say "I understand from my primary school teacher that Bush is the president of the U.S"
Only because Bush is no longer the president. You could say "I understand from my primary school teacher that Bush was the president of the U.S".

Status
Not open for further replies.