[Grammar] Using a semi colon instead of a comma when there is examples or even though clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I want to know more about punctuation. I know the sentence may be vague and not natural. But it is to clarify more about the use of semi-colons in these sentences.

1-Some films are educational teaching us ,as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved as nowadays; the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disaster.

3-It's my contention that; as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Last edited:

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone,

I want to know more about punctuation. I know the sentence may be vague and not natural. But it is to clarify more about the use of semi-colons in these sentences.

1-Some films are educational teaching us ,as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved as nowadays; the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disaster.

3-It's my contention that; as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Ok, just my opinion on the use of semi-colons (and the opinion of my teacher) is generally they don't get used these days. Instead it's better to end the sentence rather than prolong it.

On the use of commas, I know people that try and use them for extra emphasis. But you need to know when enough is enough.

With your first sentence, I'd put it as follows:

'Some films are educational, teaching us as students more about the history of wars, facts and historical dates.'

Hope it helps.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
For a start, thanks a lot for your explanation. Well, the idea here is not about prolonging sentences because if you read them carefully again, you will find it is impossible to end those sentences especially the second and third one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I wouldn't use a semi-colon anywhere in that sentence.

It's my contention that, as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves maths, thinking and language skills.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Semicolons serve several useful purposes. Read more here.

None of your sentences have any need for semicolons.

Consider this punctuation:

1-Some films are educational, teaching us, as students, more about the history of wars, facts, and historical dates.

2- Even though without tourism, the standard of living would not be improved, as nowadays [no punctuation] the industry is vulnerable to economic crises and natural disasters.

3-It's my contention that [no punctuation] as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
3-It's my contention that [no punctuation] as well as enhancing creativity, computer gaming improves math, thinking and language skills.

Rover
Surely we need a comma before and after 'as well as enhancing creativity (acting rather like brackets) or, possibly no commas at all. If you have only one, you are placing a single comma between 'It's my contention that' and 'computer gaming improves math, etc'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.