Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Susan had frequent nightmares. She was so troubled that she went to see a psychiatrist. After a short period of treatment, she stopped having nightmares. Since then she has slept/has been sleeping soundly every night.

Which verb should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Susan had frequent nightmares. She was so troubled that she went to see a psychiatrist. After a short period of treatment, she stopped having nightmares. Since then she has slept/has been sleeping soundly every night.

Which verb should I use?

Thanks in advance.
Since then she has slept/has been sleeping/sleeps soundly every night.

You could even say 'Since then she slept soundly every night.' But most people, especially speakers of British English, would choose one of the first three.

Last edited:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi 2006

Your answer differs from that given by Stitusandrews in that you say several verbs could be used.

Could I hear from other members, please?

Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi 2006

Your answer differs from that given by Stitusandrews in that you say several verbs could be used.

Thanks.
I agree with 2006 on this occasion.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi 2006

Thanks.

Since then’ is the key expression here. The word 'then' in the expression refers to a specific point in the past (which has already been mentioned, in the previous sentence).'Since then' is typically used with the present perfect simple (has slept)or the present perfect continuous(has been sleeping),which can generally be accepted.
However, because the action becomes permanent in nature present simple is also possible, though use of simple past will not be wrong.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I like "has been sleeping". "Has slept", while it indicates up to the moment, it has a sense of finality to it. "Has been sleeping", on the other hand, while it also indicates up to the moment, suggests the possibility of continuance.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I like "has been sleeping". "Has slept", while it indicates up to the moment, it has a sense of finality to it. "Has been sleeping", on the other hand, while it also indicates up to the moment, suggests the possibility of continuance.

I don't think any of the offered tenses suggest what is likely to happen in the future.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think any of the offered tenses suggest what is likely to happen in the future.

2006: You have sent me scurrying for a response. First, please note that I stated "has been sleeping" in Tan Elaine's example (and many uses of present perfect continuous) "suggests the possibility of continuance" i.e. does not preclude possibility. Second, I have found these excerpts from a variety of sources on use of present perfect continuous:

1. "The present perfect progressive expresses an action that recently stopped or is still going on. It puts emphasis on the duration or course of the action."(ego4u)
2. "The present perfect continuous is also used to refer to an event that may or may not be finished when it's effect can be seen now."(learnenglish)
3. "We use the present perfect continuous to talk about an action or actions that started in the past and continued until recently or that continue into the future." (englishgrammarsecrets)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree that it is not precluding the possibility where it is current or unfinished, but anything more is a logical deduction and not expressed by the verb form. If I say 'he's been sitting there for an hour', it is likely that he will continue sitting, but he could equally get up and walk off. I would disagree with the englishgrammarsecrets version because I think it overstates the case- they may continue because unfinished and current things often do, but then again they may not. The verb form itself doesn't say anything about the future.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with 2006 on this occasion.

Hmm. I'm not so sure I'd use the present simple here, not with 'since then', and I certainly wouldn't use the past simple.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
---Not a Teacher---

"Since then" denotes the time duration. I guess the present continuous tense fits the best.

Example:

Since then he has been playing soccer.

Since then they have been living in Paris.

Etc...

Please let me know if my understanding is incorrect.
If any example could be provided with present perfect and '"since then" in the sentence, that would be very helpful.

Thank you:up:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree that it is not precluding the possibility where it is current or unfinished, but anything more is a logical deduction and not expressed by the verb form. If I say 'he's been sitting there for an hour', it is likely that he will continue sitting, but he could equally get up and walk off. I would disagree with the englishgrammarsecrets version because I think it overstates the case- they may continue because unfinished and current things often do, but then again they may not. The verb form itself doesn't say anything about the future.

Thanks Tdol but I will stand by my "logical deduction" with the use of present perfect continuous in Telaine's example. So, hopefully, we can agree to disagree.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
---Not a Teacher---

If any example could be provided with present perfect and '"since then" in the sentence, that would be very helpful.

Thank you:up:

Here are two examples copied from the web, using present perfect with the expression 'since then':

We noticed opportunity to remove other non-physical clutter from our lives: emotional clutter, relational clutter, and spiritual clutter. Since then, we have worked hard to maintain a clutter-free life.

The definition of PTSD first gained recognition from the medical community in 1980, following the Vietnam War. Since then doctors have applied the diagnosis to those victimized by other traumas, including rape and child abuse.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you Sarat!

Status
Not open for further replies.