Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Does "Next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal, the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter" mean:

1.When the next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal, the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter.

2 The next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal; the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter?

What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everybody!

Does "Next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal, the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter" mean:

1.When the next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal, the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter.

2 The next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal; the trail was very beautiful and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter?

What do you think?
It means:
"The next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal."
"The trail was very beautiful".
"This time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter."

The grammar calls for "so that they could/would feel lighter." It's past tense.
But I don't know what the last clause means. Lighter to whom? So that what/who can feel lighter?
Ragav & Sudarshan aren't going to feel lighter, unless maybe Ragav is carrying Sudarchan who is carrying the bags.
The bags aren't going to feel anything at all to
Ragav & Sudarshan if they're on the mules. And they won't feel lighter to the mules since the mules weren't carrying them before.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Remember to cite the source of any sentence you ask about.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jacek, I can't tell what difference you have in mind. Don't your two sentences mean the same thing?

But I don't know what the last clause means. Lighter to whom? So that what/who can feel lighter?
Ragav & Sudarshan aren't going to feel lighter, unless maybe Ragav is carrying Sudarchan who is carrying the bags.
The bags aren't going to feel anything at all to
Ragav & Sudarshan if they're on the mules. And they won't feel lighter to the mules since the mules weren't carrying them before.

So that Ragav and Sudarshan could both feel less weight bearing down on them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about:

The next morning we moved towards Bedni Bughiyal; the trail was very beautiful, and this time Ragav & Sudarshan decided to let the mules carry their bags so that they can feel lighter?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you notice that Tdol used a semi-colon instead of a comma after "towards Bedni Bughiyal"? The comma in post #1 was incorrect. I don't know if you transcribed it incorrectly or if the error appeared in the original.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've never heard of this construction - that you can put down a weight you carrying and you feel lighter.
Is it a British usage?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After reading post #8 I think I get it. However, I would say:

They had the mules carry the bags because they didn't want to.

Or something like that.

(The "feel lighter" thing is apparently a Britishism.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are we really to conclude that the idea of feeling lighter after shedding a burden doesn't make much sense to speakers unfamiliar with British English? :shock:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You can conclude that it doesn't sound natural to at least two non-British people. It's not a matter of not making sense or not being able to work out what it means. It's common to say "That feels lighter", meaning the situation with the load, not the person.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can conclude that it doesn't sound natural to at least two non-British people.

Unfortunately, that's not a very useful lesson to learn from this. I was hoping for a few more answers.

It's not a matter of not making sense or not being able to work out what it means.

Judging from your post #2, it clearly is.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are we really to conclude that the idea of feeling lighter after shedding a burden doesn't make much sense to speakers unfamiliar with British English? :shock:

I would say my load feels lighter, not that I feel lighter. However, I understand the phrase. (Now I do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.