[Vocabulary] What follows from fulfilling prerequisites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

livedo

Member Type
Student or Learner
The generic things that become available once some prerequisites are fulfilled, what are they called?

To clarify, here's an example. Let's say there are some courses you can take only once you've taken some other courses, ie. prerequisites. Now then, what do you call the courses that you can take once you've taken the prerequisite course?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The generic things that become available once some prerequisites are fulfilled, what are they called?

To clarify, here's an example. Let's say there are some courses you can take only once you've taken some other courses, ie. prerequisites. Now then, what do you call the courses that you can take once you've taken the prerequisite course?
I don't think there is a word for this.
I'm even having trouble with the concept. Everything has prerequisites of some form or another (except God, if you're religious).

Naturally, in specific contexts such as the one you've mentioned, "second-level" or "advanced" would work - but those words aren't generic.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Maybe 'sine qua non'?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ray, at university, perhaps you couldn't take, for example "Advanced Experimental Design" until you'd taken the entry level psychology class. You can't take a course specializing in technical writing until you've taken the basic English class.

But I don't know what those courses would be called either, except as already suggested, "advanced courses."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ray, at university, perhaps you couldn't take, for example "Advanced Experimental Design" until you'd taken the entry level psychology class. You can't take a course specializing in technical writing until you've taken the basic English class.

But I don't know what those courses would be called either, except as already suggested, "advanced courses."
Yes, I understand the concept of a prerequisite. My problem is with the concept of a generic word for what becomes possible when a prerequisite is satisfied.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, your answer seemed so genuine... I thought maybe you simply had a different word for it Down Under. You need to add those winky emoticons or something. :)

(I wish life DID have more of them for non-academic settings. Having a baby, perhaps. Wouldn't it be nice if you had to demonstrate the required skills first? Oh well, I digress.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Oh, your answer seemed so genuine... I thought maybe you simply had a different word for it Down Under. You need to add those winky emoticons or something. :)
My answer was genuine. There was no joke in it.
I don't think there's a word for what the poster wanted.

I was having trouble with the concept of a generic word for what becomes possible when a prerequisite is satisfied - partly because everything has prerequisites.
The prerequisite to having a baby is becoming pregnant. But what do you call "having a baby"? I suppose "consequence" would do.
A prerequisite for watching CSI is having a TV. What do you call "watching CSI"? It's not really a consequence of having a TV.

So, what is needed is word that covers pretty much everything that is reliant on something having happened before it. Consequence, result, possibility - there are a lot of words that, used in the context of a particular case, might be meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.