Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What is the difference between "will do" and "be going to do". Each usage? Please give examples. Thank you very much.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What is the difference between "will do" and "be going to do". Each usage? Please give examples. Thank you very much.

Hi and welcome :hi:,

Actually, this forum works the other way round: you give us examples of sentences which pose a problem for you, and we try to help you solve them.

charliedeut

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And if you search the similar threads you will find dozens of threads on the difference between "will" and "going to".

hylhyl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi and welcome :hi:,

Actually, this forum works the other way round: you give us examples of senteces which pose a problem for you, and we try to help you solve them.

charliedeut
Actually,I want to know .Under what circumstances to use "will do".Under what circumstances to use"be going to do".
Sorry,I can't show some examples of sentences because I don't know how to use them.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Then, please see post #4.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Actually,I want to know .Under what circumstances to use "will do".Under what circumstances to use"be going to do".
Sorry,I can't show some examples of sentences because I don't know how to use them.

As we said, go to the similar threads or follow the link 5jj posted and you will find many answers to your question.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
hylhyl, you can find previous answers to your question by typing your excellent thread title in the Google Custom Search box at the top of the page.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I find a sentence . "They are going away tomorrow morning. Their train is at 8.40." this sentence is right . why "They will go..." can not be used?
It can.

Have you read the UE article I provided the link to in post #4? We explain there that there are often several possible 'correct' ways of expressing the future in many contexts.

hylhyl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, I read it. But my book's reference unswer is "They are going". I confused.:?:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, I read it. But my book's reference unswer is "They are going". I confused.:?:
You are going to stay confused unless you makes some effort yourself. Look through some of the links we have given and suggestions we have made. If you find specific examples which you don't understand, ask about them.

It's no use coming up with vague examples from a nameless book. If your book says that "They will go away tomorrow morning" cannot be used, then throw away the book. Will may not be very likely in that particular utterance, but it is possible.

hylhyl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Another sentence. "A:(Are you doing / Will you do) anything this evening?
B:Yes,(I'm going / I'll go ) out with some friends. "
That'it. Which is right?

hylhyl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you so much. I might be too the dogma. I want to go to the ielts exam and my grammar is not very well. You know the writting is need grammar .

hylhyl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You are going to stay confused unless you makes some effort yourself. Look through some of the links we have given and suggestions we have made. If you find specific examples which you don't understand, ask about them.

It's no use coming up with vague examples from a nameless book. If your book says that "They will go away tomorrow morning" cannot be used, then throw away the book. Will may not be very likely in that particular utterance, but it is possible.
I read the link that you give me. It is very useful to me. I like it . It's brilliant . I am from china and I'm a junior in university . I also read some other web page with grammar that you had written. Like Category: English Grammar Usage Articles & Notes

. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.