Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could anyone tell me what the meaning of the underlined lyric is?

I'm so afraid to show my feeling
I have sailed a million ceilings
Solitary room :roll:

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could anyone tell me what the meaning of the underlined lyric is?

I'm so afraid to show my feeling
I have sailed a million ceilings
Solitary room :roll:

Thank you.

My initial reaction, given the use of "solitary room" would be that it means the person has spent a lot of time alone in a room, probably lying on a bed staring at the ceiling. Perhaps the word "sailed" is used because it fits with the title of the song.

Song lyrics don't always make sense, though. It's important to remember that!

Just a note - I was amused by the fact that someone with a username based on the name of a heavy metal band (Deep Purple) is quoting Cliff Richard lyrics! The two artists would not normally be enjoyed by the same people!! :-D

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the song was written by Carol Banawa - young enough to be Cliff's grand-daughter. It's listed on her first album, written when she was in her teens. Imagine her in her bedroom, staring up at the ceiling and trying to think of a rhyme for 'feelings'*. It's really not worth worrying about what it means :-( (These singer-songwriters get lyricists a bad name.)

b

PS *I see the published lyrics use the singular. Perhaps in the Phillipines 'show my feeling' is a normal collocation. In Br Eng, we would say 'show my feelings' unless the issue affecting those feelings is made specific - 'What is your feeling on this point?' (where the plural would also be acceptable). In fact, as the rhyming word is 'ceilings', maybe this is a mistranscription.

Last edited:

Deepurple

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
My initial reaction, given the use of "solitary room" would be that it means the person has spent a lot of time alone in a room, probably lying on a bed staring at the ceiling. Perhaps the word "sailed" is used because it fits with the title of the song.

Song lyrics don't always make sense, though. It's important to remember that!

Just a note - I was amused by the fact that someone with a username based on the name of a heavy metal band (Deep Purple) is quoting Cliff Richard lyrics! The two artists would not normally be enjoyed by the same people!! :-D
Thank you emsr2d2. In fact I'm not a fan of heavy metal music. Taking the name of "deepurple" is just for fun and easy to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.