Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Situation: I want to invite a friend of mine to my apartment. My friend can visit me by car.

In the above situation, are the following sentences okay?
1. You can park your car in a parking lot for a visitor. (I feel that this sentence is okay if there is a visitor’s parking lot but my friend does not know about it.)
2. You can park your car in the parking lot for a visitor.
3. You can park your car in the parking lot for visitors. (I feel that 2. And 3. are okay if I want to denote that there is only one visitor’s parking lot.)

I would like to hear native speakers’ opinion.
[FONT=&quot]Thank you in advance.[/FONT]

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try one of these two:
You can park in the visitors' lot.
There is a visitors' lot you can park in.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Situation: I want to invite a friend of mine to my apartment. My friend can visit me by car.

1. You can park your car in a parking lot for a visitor. (I feel that this sentence is okay if there is a visitor’s parking lot but my friend does not know about it.)
3. You can park your car in the parking lot for visitors. (I feel that 2. And 3. are okay if I want to denote that there is only one visitor’s parking lot.)

I would use #3.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER***Snappy, good afternoon. If you ever visit the United States, you will be amused to learn that Americans spell the parking lot in at least 4 different ways: (1) visitors' parking lot (probably the "correct" way according to the rules. (2) visitor's parking lot. (3) visitors parking lot. (4) visitor parking lot. (Of course, I'm not sure, but I think no. 3 and 4 are the most used. Americans, in general, avoid unnecessary apostrophes and unnecessary plurals.) Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.