[Vocabulary] Is "winningest" a real word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akomidpls

Member Type
Student or Learner
I googled it and something came up from merriam-webster online dictionary.
I don't know if this website is a credible source or not but I just wanna know from native speakers out there. Is it really?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I googled it and something came up from merriam-webster online dictionary.
I don't know if this website is a credible source or not but I just wanna know from native speakers out there. Is it really?

Wow! My immediate reaction when I saw your question was "No!" However, I've also now looked it up in every online dictionary I use and it appears in all of them.

In my opinion, one of the most horrible-sounding words I've ever heard!!!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow! My immediate reaction when I saw your question was "No!" However, I've also now looked it up in every online dictionary I use and it appears in all of them.

In my opinion, one of the most horrible-sounding words I've ever heard!!!

Agree on all counts. It seems it's an AmEng word and almost all references on the first page of google are to a sporting context (eg 'the winningest baseball team').

Amusingly, when you select 'Pages from the UK', the number of entries drops from over 500,000 to under 10,000, the first of which is headed 'Did you know that "winningest" is a word?':lol:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Agree on all counts. It seems it's an AmEng word and almost all references on the first page of google are to a sporting context (eg 'the winningest baseball team').

Amusingly, when you select 'Pages from the UK', the number of entries drops from over 500,000 to under 10,000, the first of which is headed 'Did you know that "winningest" is a word?':lol:

I've come across 'winningest' in the UK, but not with the obvious meaning - and in a jocular context (as if the speaker knew he was 'pushing the envelope'). It was used as the superlative of 'winning' in the sense of 'a winning smile' (nothing to do with victory [the Greek goodess of which, it occurs to me - returning to the sporting arena* - was Νικη (now more widely known as 'Nike'. The context was something like 'She has the winningest of smiles'.

(This usage struck me as rather charming, and I harumphed when I came across the sporting usage.)

*Oh, enough with the word associations already! Areia is the Portuguese for 'sand', and Roman arenas were covered with sand to soak up the blood and sweat.

b

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

It's sports English. At least in America. The team that wins the most can be called the winningest.

It is ugly, but it works.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree. It's a shocker!

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
In all of my years as a native English speaker, I have never used that word once.

Not once.

I'm flabbergasted. :lol:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen it used mainly in sports or entertainment articles:
"Cheryl Holdridge certainly had the winningest smile of all the Mouseketeers."
"Ch. Chin-Up White Tie for Dinner took Best of Show at the Westminster Kennel Club Show, making him the winnningest Great Dane in the history of the breed."

"Winningest" does sound awkward when spoken, but then again I always stumbled over "Isthmus of Panama", too. :lol:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Winningest" does sound awkward when spoken, but then again I always stumbled over "Isthmus of Panama", too. :lol:

That's why we dug a big hole in it. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.