Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think Poe may have been aware of a second meaning: his wife had not been buried for long enough for her shroud to be moulded to her form. (A shroud does mould itself to a corpse, but its form becomes clearer as flesh rots away and the bones are exposed.)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For me:

Unmoulded = not yet moulded to her body
Unmouldered = has not yet gone mouldy

I should point out that I have never used either word and my spellchecker has underlined both of them, suggesting that neither is in use.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I think Poe may have been aware of a second meaning: his wife had not been buried for long enough for her shroud to be moulded to her form. (A shroud does mould itself to a corpse, but its form becomes clearer as flesh rots away and the bones are exposed.)

b

For me:

Unmoulded = not yet moulded to her body
Unmouldered = has not yet gone mouldy

I should point out that I have never used either word and my spellchecker has underlined both of them, suggesting that neither is in use.
So, as I understand, "to be molded to her body" means to acquire the shape of her body or her skeleton.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's the way I read it - though I don't discount Ray's reading. I've never met 'moulded' in the meaning 'covered in mould', but on the analogy of 'battered fish' it seems possible. There's a third possible meaning, now I think of it: 'mould' could just be a verb (like rot) In horror fiction, writers aren't too worried about tying down a particular/precise/unambiguous meaning - they just want to create in the reader a feeling of distaste/disgust/unease/fear....

b

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
That's the way I read it - though I don't discount Ray's reading. I've never met 'moulded' in the meaning 'covered in mould', but on the analogy of 'battered fish' it seems possible. There's a third possible meaning, now I think of it: 'mould' could just be a verb (like rot) In horror fiction, writers aren't too worried about tying down a particular/precise/unambiguous meaning - they just want to create in the reader a feeling of distaste/disgust/unease/fear....

b
Will stick to your opinion if you read the last part of the next paragraph.
"While thus occupied, she probably swooned, or possibly died, through sheer terror; and, in falling, her shroud became entangled in some iron-work which projected interiorly. Thus she remained, and thus she rotted, erect."

Status
Not open for further replies.