Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
Please have a look at this and help me with the word "demotivation?
Is it correct to use the word demotivation or shall I use "demotivating"?
I checked the Cambrige Dictionary but I couldn't find this word. Instead I found it as an ing-form. Yet, I find the word "demotivation" familiar. So can you help me get the right choice, please?

[FONT=&quot]<<In addition, pupils should not be afraid of making mistakes, they should put in mind that they learn from these mistakes. Hence the teacher should be aware of when to correct these mistakes to avoid humiliation [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and demotivating[/FONT][FONT=&quot] / demotivation.[/FONT]>>

Thanks in advance.

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
N.A.T.

Just use demotivation. It fits perfectly there. You could use "demotivating" with an extension. Without it, that doesn't make sense. I think there is something missing in the second sentence. What should teachers be aware of?

<<In addition, pupils should not be afraid of making mistakes, they should put in mind that they learn from these mistakes. Hence the teacher should be aware of (that?) correcting these mistakes to avoid humiliation and demotivation.>>

P.S.: Ok, I've read your post again. Are you suggesting that teachers should not correct all errors pupils make to not humilate or demotivate them?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please have a look at this and help me with the word "demotivation?
Is it correct to use the word demotivation or shall I use "demotivating"?
I checked the Cambrige Dictionary but I couldn't find this word. Instead I found it as an ing-form. Yet, I find the word "demotivation" familiar. So can you help me get the right choice, please?

[FONT=&quot]<<In addition, pupils should not be afraid of making mistakes, they should put in mind that they learn from these mistakes. Hence the teacher should be aware of when to correct these mistakes to avoid humiliation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]and demotivating[/FONT][FONT=&quot] / demotivation.[/FONT]>>

Thanks in advance.
It's not a very commonly used word. I'd use "discourage", and its derivatives.
If you have to use it, why not "... to avoid humiliating and demotivating them"?

Nannou

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Tunisia
Current Location
Tunisia
N.A.T.

P.S.: Ok, I've read your post again. Are you suggesting that teachers should not correct all errors pupils make to not humilate or demotivate them?
Yes that's what I mean.
Thanks a lot for your precious help.

It's not a very commonly used word. I'd use "discourage", and its derivatives.
If you have to use it, why not "... to avoid humiliating and demotivating them"?

Thanks also Raymott for your valuable suggestion. In fact, that was my choice also:
"
[FONT=&quot]Pupils should not be afraid of making mistakes, they should put in mind that they learn from these mistakes. Hence the teacher should be aware of when to correct these mistakes to avoid humiliating [/FONT][FONT=&quot]or demotivating them[FONT=&quot]."

I'm really grateful.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use put in mind- how about keep/bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.