Does "cruiser" have a meaning of "a plane"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
My vocabulary book (Live ABC) says the word "cruiser" could mean "a plane". It it correct? I checked many different dictionaries, but I didn't find "cruiser" has such a meaning. Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've never heard of a plane being called a cruiser.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of 'cruiser' being used to refer to a plane, either. I think the reason Matthew's link provided all those results, is that in each of them (or at least the few I randomly selected), 'cruiser' was part of the plane's model name.

I think you'll probably find some results for cars as well, but again that's just part of the name. I remember about 10 years ago, (give or take), when the Chrysler PT Cruiser hit the market and was all the rage. (I find them unattractive, but that's just me.)

People probably use the term 'cruiser' in a model name to imply that the vehicle in question provides a smooth or enjoyable ride, as opposed to just being utilitarian.

Otherwise, unless it's actually part of a model name, I've never heard the word 'cruiser' used as a synonym for anything other than a ship.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Lots of vehicles and craft are called cruisers. I think of boats first, but I don't see any reason why some cars, bicycles, and airplanes shouldn't be called cruisers. The word implies speed, compactness, and maneuverability, regardless of the kind of machine achieving them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that "Cruiser" is always used as part of the name of the plane and never as a synonym for "plane".

(Thanks, Matthew! Those are some "cool" pics.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Planes cruise at an altitude of , say, 30,000 feet.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that "Cruiser" is always used as part of the name of the plane and never as a synonym for "plane".

True. If someone said, "I just saw the coolest cruiser," my first thought would be: spiffy little boat. I'm not ruling out calling an airplane, car, motorcycle, or bicycle a cruiser, but I agree that it's not common.

Status
Not open for further replies.