The origin of the manner of 'Ladies first'

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 52,089
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Please let me know the origin of the manner of 'Ladies first'.
And what nuance does it have today after we have had the women's liberation movement?

Many thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've had look in a few dictionaries of origin and haven't found a reference to it, from which I believe it might have been purely from a cultural perspective. I assume the idea was to show some sort of perceived protection. Personally, I can't see it's a major issue nowadays. I wouldn't bawl the phrase out while holding a door open, which would be ghastly, but I'd still hold a door. :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Catlover 16 said:
Please let me know the origin of the manner of 'Ladies first'.
And what nuance does it have today after we have had the women's liberation movement?

Many thanks.

It started as a sign of respect for women. A man would hold a door open for a lady. If a line were forming, a gentleman would allow ladies to go first. The woman's movement curtailed a lot of the historical signs of respect and politeness, but not all. Many ladies still appreciate a seat on a cowded bus or a man holding a door. Those who do not appreciate the gesture can get over it or not, in my opinion.

ken984

Member Type
Other
Actually, "Ladies first" is originated from Germany in the ancient times. When we were cave dwellers, we said "ladies first" when we hear some noise from outside. This is to send out the women first so that men can attack bears and other wild animals from behind.

When I first found out this, I was appalled. It's one of ome historical facts we are not proud of.

:-?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
Welcome to the forums.

Please give documentary support for this statement. You could easily have made it up.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Welcome to the forums.

Please give documentary support for this statement. You could easily have made it up.
I agree. It sounds like pure drivel to me. But perhaps that's being too polite. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.