Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1)After finishing this work,we will go.

2)After finishing this work,we can go.

which one of the above sentence is more appropriate in the context that some work has to be completed in office.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1)After finishing this work,we will go.

2)After finishing this work,we can go.

which one of the above sentence is more appropriate in the context that some work has to be completed in office.
Both are possible, though they have different shades of meaning.

Neither to me is particularly natural. I'd be more likely to say, "We'll/We can go when we've finished this".

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Neither to me is particularly natural. I'd be more likely to say, "We'll/We can go when we've finished this".

Don't they sound natural if the stress is on finishing the work?
Both are possible, though they have different shades of meaning.

Isn't the second sentence more likely for the given context that work should be finished?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Don't they sound natural if the stress is on finishing the work?
I just happen to think that constructions with the -ing form are not particularly common/natural in normal conversation. I remember at school (many
years ago) being taught to use these constructions because they were more 'elegant'. So we used them in our written work, because we didn't want to lose marks, but we didn't, and don't, use them much in normal conversation.

Isn't the second sentence more likely for the given context that work should be finished?
If there is an obligation on us to finish the work, then 'can' is more likely, in my opinion.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
. I remember at school (
many
years ago) being taught to use these constructions because they were more 'elegant'.

Here in my country,I hear this type of construction of sentence quite often.Maybe,Since people here are nonnative speakers,they prefer formal way of saying things.

Status
Not open for further replies.