• Thread starter WingSaber
  • Start date
  • Views : 6,040
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WingSaber

Hi,

This is the sentence I am querying - "Please kindly contact me only If you are a parent of your daughter."

What would be the correct way to make this crystal clear if a father is writing it line so that misunderstanding should not be created or is this sentence is more understandable?.

I am open to suggestions for how to write in a proper and crystal clear manner.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Please kindly contact me only If you are a parent of your daughter

Hi,

This is the [STRIKE]line[/STRIKE] sentence I am querying - "Please kindly contact me only if you are a parent of your daughter."

What would be the correct way to [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] make this crystal [STRIKE]clearly[/STRIKE] clear [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] if a father is writing it [STRIKE]this line so that misunderstanding should not be created[/STRIKE] or is this sentence [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]more than enough to[/STRIKE] understandable? [STRIKE]itself. [/STRIKE]

I am open [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to suggestions for how to write it in a proper [STRIKE]&[/STRIKE] and crystal [STRIKE]clearly[/STRIKE] clear manner.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

1. Use either "Please" or "Kindly" but not both. If you use both, one is redundant because in this context they mean the same thing.
2. Who is writing the sentence?
3. Who are they writing to?

Note my corrections above. "Crystal clear" is the adjective you're looking for. We don't use "crystal clearly" and if we did, it would an adverb.

I have changed your thread title so that it is relevant to this thread. Titles should include some or all of the words you are querying.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Would the parents please contact me about your daughter?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Would the parents please contact me about your daughter?

That only works if everyone knows the identity of the daughter in question.

I am looking for the parents of Abigail Jones. Please don't contact me unless you are one of her parents.

(I'm not sure why anyone but Abigail's parents would contact the speaker after sentence 1, but I suppose it's now crystal clear.)

W

WingSaber

1. Use either "Please" or "Kindly" but not both. If you use both, one is redundant because in this context they mean the same thing.

Note my corrections above. "Crystal clear" is the adjective you're looking for. We don't use "crystal clearly" and if we did, it would an adverb.

I have changed your thread title so that it is relevant to this thread. Titles should include some or all of the words you are querying.

----
1. Thanks for correcting. I'll do that as you suggested.

2. Father is writing the sentence

3. He's addresses in matrimonial site to the parent of the daughter.

W

WingSaber

1. Thanks for correcting me with my post & I have re-edited the post. I'm still learning & been out of touch from grammar section for a very long time. Although, English is my first language. I have always been confused between Please and Kindly so I used both in one. I'm clear with my confusion now.

2. This sentence is written by Father' side writing for a son's profile in a matrimonial site.

3. He's writing or addressing to parents of the daughter in the matrimonial site who visits his profile & therefore, they wish to contact him. I just wanted to write in a clear manner so it's easier to understand it's written by father (parent) & then wishes to contact him.

Is this sentence correct & easier for them to understand - "Kindly contact me only If you are a parent of your daughter."

I don't know why I get the feeling that it can be misunderstood when written like this, What would be another way of writing it correctly. I'm still thinking about it to write another form.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"... the parent of a young lady who is happy/willing to take part in an arranged marriage".

W

WingSaber

Agreed, I'm just so confused to how to write in proper manner to understand more effectively.

I do agree it does sound strange, that is why I was puzzled about it. If you have more suggestions, Please do let me know.

Last edited:
W

WingSaber

As you suggested if I correctly understand , if written like this - "Kindly contact only if you are the parent of the maiden who is happy/willing to take part in an arranged marriage."

It does have humble request which is necessary & not feeling accurate for some reason. Would young lady sound inappropriate for an age over 21+ since they are still young.
I thought of adding word "Maiden" as the best appeal in this case. What do you think of this sentence?. If you have more suggestions, please do let me know.

Last edited:
W

WingSaber

No problem, I'm so stuck badly with this part that I do need to correct it but I feel like I ran out of conclusions. I just wanted to write in proper & humble manner towards their parents to avoid confusion. After all, it should be parent - parent. The point is that there are many profiles created by females without their parents consent & he doesn't want to be contacted by those profiles who created by themselves, siblings apart from parents itself since it's arranged marriage so parents play first role in communication to contact other end. He want to avoid those profile where siblings or profiles who create themselves & henceforth, give a warning before contacting his own son's profile, after all, he created a profile for his son and looking for a bride for his own son in matrimonial site.

I really do appreciate your suggestion & Thanks again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In post #13, you stated your reservations about profiles posted by girls/ladies without their parents' consent. However, how are you going to ensure that you (or the father in question) isn't going to be contacted by parents who have posted their daughter's profile without their daughter's consent?

W

WingSaber

Finally,This is the exact line I was searching for. Thanks a lot. It has got everything in the sentence itself. :)

Thanks again.

Last edited:
W

WingSaber

I do agree with the part that nothing comes with the warranty here & I'm aware of it as well, but I am trying here to warn those people who created themselves, siblings, etc. in the first headline before they look at the son's profile which is created by a father which is written matrimony sites who created the profile. In this case, since father created the profile, it would be written like this - Profile created by Parent. However, this also doesn't assure anything too. But at least I can warn them before they waste their time contact him, remember it's not contact number as parent as taken intiniative to handle interaction in the first place communication. If they don't understand, I can't help them either, most likely in this event, ignored or blocked.

That headline I wrote in this first part & thanks to piscean which is easier to understand directly to anyone. They will think twice at least before contacting father of the son's profile.

I do understand your concern but at least as a human I can only give warning before getting in touch as they will be wasting their time contacting him in the first place unless it's parents itself. Normally, as far I know, if the profile created by themselves i.e. daughters created by themselves, they choose not to look at those profiles which created by parents & they prefer to search for profile created by siblings /themselves profiles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.