[Grammar] preposition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stitusandrews

Member Type
Other
Hello All,

Can we end a sentence or a question with a preposition?

Thank you,
Titus Andrews

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, the hanging (or stranded) preposition! Historically, one of the most disputed areas of the English language. (PS: 2006, I still mean to come back to you on that other area of dispute, the split infinitive, sometime when I've given it more thought.) My view: people use hanging prepositions all the time in informal speech/writing - often because they simply sound more natural - but in formal writing there is still a tendency to avoid hanging prepositions, provided the sentence allows this, since there are certain structures that only sound correct with hanging prepositions:

What are you talking about?

You would never say:

About what are you talking?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Over and over, this fallacy of not ending a sentence with a preposition has been addressed.

English is not Latin. English does not have to follow the rules of Latin.

The nonsense about not ending with a preposition or even about not splitting the infinitive is based on the misguided notion of old-century linguists and grammaticians (what would that word be, if it were the right word?) that English should act like Latin. It doesn't have to.

(As the link I provided in the earlier thread says on the split infinitive also shows.)

To paraphrase the line attributed to Mr. Churchill (and I use him so no one accuses the Godless Americans as being the ones who ruined what was a perfectly fine language until we came along): Insisting a sentence not be ended with a preposition is the type of nonsense up with which I will not put.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Over and over, this fallacy of not ending a sentence with a preposition has been addressed.

English is not Latin. English does not have to follow the rules of Latin.

The nonsense about not ending with a preposition or even about not splitting the infinitive is based on the misguided notion of old-century linguists and grammaticians (what would that word be, if it were the right word?) that English should act like Latin. It doesn't have to.

(As the link I provided in the earlier thread says on the split infinitive also shows.)

To paraphrase the line attributed to Mr. Churchill (and I use him so no one accuses the Godless Americans as being the ones who ruined what was a perfectly fine language until we came along): Insisting a sentence not be ended with a preposition is the type of nonsense up with which I will not put.

I agree. To a degree. There is no grammatical reason why we shouldn't split infinitives; no reason either why we shouldn't hang our prepositions. But although the prescriptive use of English might have little hold on the spoken word (though I would - and soon will again - argue that we don't tend to split negative infinitives even in speech), the written word is still catching up, and very slowly too, at least in formal use. I hope that when I come to collect my pension, I will be reading journals and documents that sound more like the way I speak, but for that, we'll have to wait and see.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

And it's Raymond Chandler, of course, for split infinitives: "God damn it, I split it so it will remain split!" By the way, I've been arguing with 2006 over split infinitives in the negative on some thread somewhere.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A: "What time is your party at?"
B. "Don't you know that you should never end a sentence or question with a preposition?"
A. "Well, you did!"

Last edited:

stitusandrews

Member Type
Other
Oh oh oh... hold on a second...

Now you all have confused me...

Dont know where I am going from here...

Please help...

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh oh oh... hold on a second...

Now you all have confused me...

Dont know where I am going from here...

Please help...

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Mr. Andrews.

(1) As the other posters said:

(a) Yes, it is "good" English to end a sentence with a preposition.

(b) Sometimes, in fact, you must do so. Otherwise, your English

will sound "strange."

Maybe you can post some examples. Then other posters will tell you

whether they think the prepositions in your examples are properly

placed.

Have a nice day!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, Mr. Andrews.

(1) As the other posters said:

(a) Yes, it is "good" English to end a sentence with a preposition.

(b) Sometimes, in fact, you must do so. Otherwise, your English

will sound "strange."

Maybe you can post some examples. Then other posters will tell you

whether they think the prepositions in your examples are properly

placed.

Have a nice day!

So, do you think in formal, written English, hanging prepositions are the norm? If so, or if any other poster thinks so, be prepared for an onslaught* of sentences from the documents I proofread, where the hanging preposition would not be acceptable
*This onslaught might start next week though because I'm off to London for a few days tonight and right now, I'm sitting here at home with no documents coming in to quote from. But I will remember!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Examples:

1. I don't know what I am here for.

2. What am I going through?

3. This is a situation that I have never come across.

4. I haven't received an answer yet.

5. Where are we stopping at?

5. I hope he knows what is going on.

6. Which city do you live in?

All correct (although they're not all prepositions, eg 'yet' in 4 is an adverb). And the prepositions here would sound wrong if they weren't hanging. (Note this doesn't contradict anything I've said about formal, written English, by which I don't mean newspapers or novels but academic papers, learned journals, legal documents etc.)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only #5 is "wrong" to me -- You wouldn't say "At where are we stopping" if you reversed it. Just delete the "at."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Love it! - From Wikipedia:
Raymond Chandler complained to the editor of The Atlantic Monthly about a proofreader who changed Chandler's split infinitives:
"By the way, would you convey my compliments to the purist who reads your proofs and tell him or her that I write in a sort of broken-down patois which is something like the way a Swiss-waiter talks, and that when I split an infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will remain split, and when I interrupt the velvety smoothness of my more or less literate syntax with a few sudden words of barroom vernacular, this is done with the eyes wide open and the mind relaxed and attentive. The method may not be perfect, but it is all I have."

Status
Not open for further replies.