Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear teachers,

If someone asks me 'what is today?', is he asking 'what DAY is it' or 'what DATE is it'?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

If someone asks me 'what is today?', is he asking 'what DAY is it' or 'what DATE is it'?

Thank you!

It's a very rare question. Most people would either say "What day is it today?" or "What date is it today?" or "What's the date today?"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Heidi, if you are asked 'What's today?' say 'Friday'.

If the questioner meant 'What's the date?' he'll say 'I meant what's the date?'

Rover

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sarcastic soul that I am, if someone asked me "What is today?" I would probably say "It's the day after yesterday and the day before tomorrow". I'm helpful like that!

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, Rover and emsr2d2.

Sorry, I don't think I've asked my question properly. It seems that I've seperated a question from its original meaning (?) It comes from the what-is-today.mp3 below.
- "What is today?" "That's right, it's the beginning of June."

But even Tom gives the answer to his own question 'what is today' - it's the beginning of June, I'd still like to ask, if the answer to a question is 'it's the beginning of June', is 'what is today' a good corresponding question? What else can we ask to get the respond 'it's the beginning of June'?:roll:

Thank you!

Attachments

• what-is-today.mp3
    103.7 KB · Views: 1

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you, Rover and emsr2d2.

Sorry, I don't think I've asked my question properly. It seems that I've seperated a question from its original meaning (?) It comes from the what-is-today.mp3 below.
- "What is today?" "That's right, it's the beginning of June."

But even Tom gives the answer to his own question 'what is today' - it's the beginning of June, I'd still like to ask, if the answer to a question is 'it's the beginning of June', is 'what is today' a good corresponding question? What else can we ask to get the respond 'it's the beginning of June'?:roll:

Thank you!

I really can't think of a direct question which would definitely elicit "It's the beginning of June" as a response.

Where are we in the year? (I don't like this but it's the best I can do!)
What time of year is it? (Although this is more likely to elicit "It's spring/summer/autumn/winter.)

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I really can't think of a direct question which would definitely elicit "It's the beginning of June" as a response.

Where are we in the year? (I don't like this but it's the best I can do!)
What time of year is it? (Although this is more likely to elicit "It's spring/summer/autumn/winter.)
What do you think Tom is trying to say?
"What is today?"
"It's the beginning of June."

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you think Tom is trying to say?
"What is today?"
"It's the beginning of June."

Thank you!

I'm assuming that Tom is the one who says "It's the beginning of June". If that's the case, then he has not given a particularly sensible answer to the question "What is today?" I don't think he was trying to say anything other than what he actually said. I imagine it probably was somewhere between June 1st and maybe June 7th (the beginning of June) but I don't know why he would have given that specific answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.