Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I read this sentence in an article

It would be of value to learn what these activities involved and whether he had been misleading his doctors regarding his injuries

Is "would be of value" present tense? can one use "will be of value"

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I read this sentence in an article.

Remember to start all sentences with a capital letter and to put a period, question mark or exclamation mark at the end of each sentence!
It would be of value to learn what these activities involved and whether he had been misleading his doctors regarding his injuries.

Is "would be of value" present tense? yes
(As "yes" is not a sentence, it doesn't need capitalization or punctuation.)

Can one use "will be of value"? yes
Without any context, the two sentences have the same meaning. Sometimes "would" is conditional, but it often isn't conditional.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What tense is it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What tense is it?
That depends on which grammar you read.

Some authorities consider that will and would are two modals that have no tense forms as such.

Others consider that would is the past-tense form of will.

Some traditional grammars consider will + bare infinitive to be the future tense in English. Will + bare infinitive has been referred to as a conditional form.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That depends on which grammar you read.
I am not a grammarian; I am just giving my impression. :)
Some authorities consider that will and would are two modals that have no tense forms as such. I am not suprised to hear that, especially for "would".

Others consider that would is the past-tense form of will. As you well know, sometimes it is. Sometimes it clearly isn't, as in thomas615's sentence..

Some traditional grammars consider will + bare infinitive to be the future tense in English.
That's clearly so.

I go to Chicago every week. (present tense)
I will go to Chicago every week. ('future tense')

Will + bare infinitive has been referred to as a conditional form.
That surprises me. Or did you mean 'would' and bare infinitive?
Why I said "woulde be of value" is present tense is because it is not past tense and neither is it future tense or conditional.
As we know, "would" is a strange and flexible word, that must drive many ESL students to despair.

"It would be of value to learn..." means 'I think we should know...". It expresses an opinion in the present.

another example

I would say that he should get the promotion. = I think he should get the promotion.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why I said "would be of value" is present tense is because it is not past tense and neither is it future tense or conditional.
That does not make it a 'present' tense.

"It would be of value to learn..." means 'I think we should know...". It expresses an opinion in the present.
If I were rich, I'd be happy. That expresses a view about the present, but 'were' is still a past-tense form.
The word 'tense' refers to the form of the verb. This form is frequently used in association with certain time periods, but not necessarily.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Why I said "would be of value" is present tense is because it is not past tense and neither is it future tense or conditional.
Theoreticaly that is true, But I don't think "It would be of value" is any more tenseless than the following present tense 'sentences'.

It (can)(should)(might)(must)(could)(would) be the answer.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Theoreticaly that is true, But I don't think "It would be of value" is any more tenseless than the following present tense 'sentences'.

It (can)(should)(might)(must)(could)(would) be the answer.
You choose to use 'present tense' in a different way from most writers on grammar. You are, of course, free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.